How do I remove data from a broken iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doubleohseven, Apr 10, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Not retrieve, but remove.

I have a broken iPhone 3GS that I want to sell for parts. It fell onto a carpet floor and never turned on again. I want to know if there's a way to remove the data from the flash drive before I sell it, as I'm quite sure that the flash drive still has my personal data on it.

Or alternatively, is there a way for me to extract the flash drive from the iPhone and sell it without it?

Thanks!

2. macrumors regular

does iTunes even detect the iPhone? Because if it does, then maybe your screen connector just got loose, or needs to be replaced.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Nope, not recognised by iTunes unfortunately. Left it overnight on a wall charger and this didn't do anything either.

4. macrumors regular

You tried holding Power+Home button? Also tried getting into recovery or DFU mode?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Yes, yes and yes. :(

6. macrumors regular

Benson11

First of all, Connect the iPhone to your computer to installed iTunes, and run iTunes and after disconnecting it from the computer then give the battery for run out and Press and Hold the home button down for 15 seconds. then again connect it with computer and follow the next steps carefully and then i hope there will be no data on your phone. You may also follow the next step.
    Settings > General > Reset> Reset All Settings. And at last hope for the best.

7. macrumors 68000

gngan

Are you serious? I guess people are too lazy to read nowadays.

8. macrumors regular

You could try to log on to iCloud.com, and do a remote wipe through Find my iPhone. The only problem with this is, the remote wipe will only work when the phone is powered up and detected. You can also set a remote lock as a back up precaution as well.

9. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    There is no standalone Flash drive. There is a Flash chip soldered to a board that would be very difficult to remove.

If whoever buys the phone manages to get it running again with the same board, then yes they'd likely have access to your info.

If you're worried about that, I'd say to not sell it, or perhaps take it apart and sell everything except the board with the Flash chip. (See iFixit website to find out which one that is.)

Luck!

10. macrumors 6502a

hmm.. this is a good idea. mine is in the same situation, and it's just sitting there collecting dust. I wonder if my local repair shop would take the parts..

11. macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Did it have a pass code? The data without the encryption key is practically deleted anyway.

12. macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Remove the board and destroy it, sell the parts. Or cut up a iPhone charger cable and hook it up to a car battery, should destroy the chip, but also everything else electronic inside. :p

13. macrumors 6502a

If you have information on your iPhone you don't want other people to possibly have then just throw it away. A broken iPhone 3GS is worth 30 dollars at most and even less if you remove the chip.

14. macrumors newbie

NataliaAftermat

Problem Solved Atlast...

I have Sucessfully Recovered all of my data from My Broken Screen iPhone 4s using the 2nd software mentioned in this Article
    I hope this works for you guys Aswell..! :)