How do I remove invalid iTunes songs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gary King, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

How do I remove invalid iTunes songs? The songs that do not exist anymore? This is iTunes on Windows, by the way.

2. zim macrumors 65816

zim

3. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I remove ALL invalid songs? I have dozens of them scattered everywhere.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Hold control, select all of the songs, and hit delete.

5. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Besides that?

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't know of a way to do it automatically. How many songs are we talking about here?

7. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Try sorting the songs so that the ones you need to remove are listed one after another with no songs that you don't want to delete in the middle. Then click the top song that you want to delete in the list and then hold the shift key while clicking the bottom song you want to delete. This way the songs that you clicked on and all the songs in the middle will be selected so you can delete a large group of songs at once. Depending on how the songs sort it might take a while even with this method.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not sure how much space you have free but if it is at least as much as your entire iTunes library then how about you make a new iTunes folder and get iTunes to "Consolidate library" into that folder through the preferences. I haven't personally tried this but it should copy across all the good songs meaning you can just delete the previous folder. :)

9. starstreak macrumors 6502

I think I had this problem but backwards. When I used the consolodate feature, it made dups of everything in a folder (good) but then I saw in the playlist there were a few dups. Considering i'm talking about 6000 sounds and ended up manualy deleting about 900 of 'em it was very tiring. I had to go through the list one by one.

10. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Why don't you try sorting by number of times played in your library. Then hit it again to see the opposite. I'd assume most of them would be there if not close. If they're all in a row, hit the first one, hold shift and hit the last one and then delete or right click-->clear.