Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
That Mac startup sound.... "MMMMMMMMMM", how do I prevent it from playing everytime I turn on or restart my iMac? It's really annoying because I'm always switching from OSX to XP via bootcamp, and it's not nice to get home at 6am and suddently "MMMMMMMMMMMMM" and wake everybody up :)

Also, since I'm already here, I have a 2.1 sound system connected to my iMac but the speakers are always broadcasting some cheesy radio in the background (like it's catching the radio frequency all the time), basically every time I'm trying to work quietly or listening to some music not very loudly I can hear the radio playing in the background :S someone told me it had something to do with the power plug that the stereo was connected to or whatever, I just to know if someone here has ever got this problem and if someone knows what to do to fix it :O

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
That Mac startup sound.... "MMMMMMMMMM", how do I prevent it from playing everytime I turn on or restart my iMac? It's really annoying because I'm always switching from OSX to XP via bootcamp, and it's not nice to get home at 6am and suddently "MMMMMMMMMMMMM" and wake everybody up :)

Not sure if this works or not, but you can try muting your speakers before you restart. It seems like I remember reading that somewhere before. I actually like the startup chime, so I've never tried it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
FWIW, it's sometimes good to leave this sound alone because it actually has a purpose. If there's a hardware issue with your computer, you'll hear a different chime. Hearing the normal chime (POST) means that according to your Mac, everything's fine. :)

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
ok, the fact that my iMac is feeling well makes me more happy, however, I really need to shut him up :D It's not that I don't like the chime, but it's very inconvenient sometimes... lol. About the other problem? Is anyone picking up radio static through the speakers? :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
ok, the fact that my iMac is feeling well makes me more happy, however, I really need to shut him up :D It's not that I don't like the chime, but it's very inconvenient sometimes... lol.

Haha, fair enough. Well, pressing the mute button on your keyboard before you shut down should suffice. In fact, I think you can even press it at startup, before the POST (chime) and it'll get in before the noise comes blaring out... If you're quick. :p

About the other problem? Is anyone picking up radio static through the speakers? :)

Well, try some of the techniques in this thread. :)

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
Yep, thanks for the assistance Mad Jew, you're really helpful! :) However, it doesn't quite help me since the speakers play radio even if I disconnect them from the iMac, it's something that the speakers are getting and I don't know why, damn, yesterday I was playing F.E.A.R (runs perfect on a 24" iMac, base model BTW :) ) and during those creepy bits it was killing the mood of the game listening to the speakers playing Final Countdown by Europe in the background, LOL! unbelievable :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Awesome music choice! :D

Well, if the problem is related to the shielding on the cables, then using different cables might help. If it happens when the cables are all completely unplugged then maybe try moving your speakers to somewhere else. Other than that, sorry but I've got nothin'. :eek:

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
lol, I figured, anyway, it was a longshot asking this question :) Guess I'll just go around the house plugin' the speakers to different power plugs, see if that is the problem. Thanks for your help Jew :cool: "it's the final countdown!!!", LMAO!

Kiscokid

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
just checked tnt and my 24' iMac is in amsterdam so should be with me very soon....I seriously hope that I dont get Europe songs coming through my speakers though - that would be enough to top anyone off....

Re: the apple sound - this can be a bit annoying - I just get into a habit of muting the sound when I turn off my other mac.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
just checked tnt and my 24' iMac is in amsterdam so should be with me very soon....I seriously hope that I dont get Europe songs coming through my speakers though - that would be enough to top anyone off....

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! The problem is with the speakers (external), the iMac will make you sh*t your pants :D it's fantastic! eheh.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
lol, I figured, anyway, it was a longshot asking this question :) Guess I'll just go around the house plugin' the speakers to different power plugs, see if that is the problem. Thanks for your help Jew :cool: "it's the final countdown!!!", LMAO!

When I was in high school I used to work the audio and visual effects for any show/assembly. I have had this issue a number of times and it has nothing to do with the outlet the speakers are plugged into. It is a problem with the cable. What is physically happening is (either in the shielding or the main conductor) one of the wires has broken and is now acting like a radio antenna.

It is not the power cord because the radio signal has to be amped in order for you to hear it, and the power cable does not feed into a line input (or output, as in the signal may be conducting through the grounding of the connection).

As I said I had the same problem many number of times (thats what you get for using old equipment) and sadly it was a country radio station.:(

Kiscokid

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
As I said I had the same problem many number of times (thats what you get for using old equipment) and sadly it was a country radio station.:(

give me Dolly Parton's assets over poodle-haired rockers any day of the week :p

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
So? I just need to switch the cable? :D
That'd be great, you can't imagine how this makes me crazy, always having a cheesy radio playing in the background, I'm trying to sleep and I hear Christina Aguilera and Shakira playing through the speakers, not much of a lullaby... lol.

Hey Kisco, don't talk too much or you'll be getting Europe pumpin through your speakers too :D they're evil... :mad:

Kiscokid

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Hey Kisco, don't talk too much or you'll be getting Europe pumpin through your speakers too :D they're evil... :mad:

I guess at least you don't get their video coming up on the screen as well ... then you really would be ready to vomit.

Hope you get the problem sorted.... by the way - sorry this is slightly off topic - but are you still disappointed at the dvd viewing quality on the 24"??

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
Humm, a little, if you move a bit away from the screen it looks much nicer! and mpeg/avi video looks good in front row (been following Lost Season 3) so I just put the files in "Movies" and it looks better than the DVD playback in some cases :D if it's HD, than it looks excellent, we should be preparing for the future right? eheh.
However, even if it sucked big time, no way I would trade my 24 Incher, it's amazing, I got the base config and you can't imagine my face when I installed F.E.A.R and saw how fluid and detailed it runs :O (1024x768 of course, looks beautiful even at that res).

edit: if Europe showed up on my screen I would sue Apple for moral injuries!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Try, in this order:

1) Just try a different cable.
2) You could put ferrite cores on each end.
3) Try a coax cable, but then you'll need a string of adapters to get from headphone plug to coax.
4) Or you could wrap the cable in aluminum foil. Cheap, but a pain. And makes you look like a wacko!

Ooh, you could also try just re-shaping the cable. I presume you are getting FM radio, coiling it a bit could get rid of the antenna-like properties. Or if it is coiled and you are picking up AM, reverse that.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
creepy bits it was killing the mood of the game listening to the speakers playing Final Countdown by Europe in the background, LOL! unbelievable

no problem there for me. I love that song! lol

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
Ahrghhhh, nothing works, went to buy a brand new cable yesterday! But that crap never shuts up... I'm buying some new speakers and sound system when I get paid :cool:

LOL, liking Europe is a lifestyle! :eek: (so as Dolly Parton)

And c'mon! I'm not gonna wrap my cables in aluminum foil!! are you insane? ahah, nice suggestion anyway :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Hey, I told you it would make you look like a wacko! That might not be all bad, actually. Keep visitors calm and cautious.

Buy from a place you can return it. These are not shielded cables (I presume), and a new one may not fix the problem.

I should add....
It could actually be the speakers themselves that have the radio problem internally. The cable would just be acting as an additional bit of antenna to boost just enough to get it audible. Then you'd probably be best served with new speakers.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
That's what I'm thinking now.. I guess you get what you paid for, but the 25€ label for 2 speakers and sub-woofer looked so sexy :( lol, I'll buy some new ones this week ;)

volk

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
The RF problem is the result of the amplifier in the speakers being poorly grounded or shielded coupled with poorly shielded speaker wires. Your speakers are now a built in radio! I would advise getting those replaced or shielded...in my experience (I work in radio), strong enough RF has been able to create voltage fluctuations that can damage or ruin sensitive electronic components.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Dude, of course! What was I thinking? Another option would be to wrap the entire speakers in aluminum foil. Even more freaky. :D

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
I'm gonna wrap up the speakers in alluminum and take a pic :D gotta see how that looks! If I never post again on this forum was because someone saw me doing it and sent me to an asylum. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.