How do I remove OS X 10.3 from 2nd drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cartel1, Sep 16, 2006.

1. cartel1 macrumors newbie

How do I remove OSX 10.3 from a previous boot drive? I am running 10.4 on a second drive and I want to free up the space on the other drive.
    I had searched the web for info and can't find anything.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Terry

2. cboz macrumors newbie

cboz

How about formatting the HD in the 10.4 drive. Go to Disk Utility->Select the Drive-> Format

3. NJuul macrumors 6502

If you don't boot from it, can't you just delete the system folder?
    If it gives you "not permitted" or something like that, try clicking on the 10.3 system folder, chose "Get info", then change the "ownership & permissions" to you instead of system, apply to enclosed items, and then delete the folder.

If that doesn't work, I believe you can use Terminal, navigate to where your 10.3 system folder is located, and type: "rm system". But you really want to check up on that.

4. cartel1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the 10.4 drive I use as my primary system drive, it's the second (10.3) drive that I want to remove the system from, the problem is all my applications are on the 10.3 drive (60Gb) as my 10.4 drive is too small (40Gb) to hold them all.

I just tried to change ownership on the 10.3 system, so I can delete it but it says I do not have sufficient privileges to change ownership of some of the enclosed items, so can't delete them. Is there no 'uninstall OSX app anywhere?
    The problem started because when I installed Tiger when it was first released, I didn't want to take the risk that some things may not work on on it, so continued to use 10.3 until I found that Tiger was fine and continued using it, now I have a redundant 10.3 system that I can't delete.:(

5. NJuul macrumors 6502

try following this guide, it's for removing os 9, but I think it should work you way as well. Just be really careful. And where it says 'system folder', only type system.

linky