How do I remove software?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by JSRockit, Oct 20, 2002.

1. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2002
    New Mac user... can't figure out how to remove programs in OS 9.2 or OS 10.2. Please help. Also, I am trying to use the carbonized version of The Sims in 10.2 and it is stating that the current user doesn't have read or write priviledges... what does this mean? and finally, when installing a program like The Sims, which has carbonized and OS 9 versions...should I install on OS 9.2 or 10.2...does it matter?
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Trash It

To remove software simply drag the application to the trash. Under OSX (not so sure about 9) application preferences are stored in ~/Library/Preferences and some apps might (pretty unlikey) put stuff in ~/Library/Application Support and /Library/Application Support.
  3. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    to uninstall a program, simply drag the program to the trash can. sometimes there's an uninstall option on the install CD, but if not, just drag it to the trash.

to change access privileges, select the folder you want to access and press apple+i

this will bring up the info window. go to the privilges section and change them to you.

you should be able to edit it, or junk it then.

Install anything that runs on OS X in the applications folder for OS X. this avoids a lot of potential future problems

Attached Files:

4. kperry8 macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2002
    1) As a Mac user, uninstalling apps is the easiest thing you've ever done. Just drag the application icon (or folder if there is one) that you want to delete straight into the Trash, and Empty it! (Note: this doesn't get rid of preferences, but they don't harm anything, and take up just like 4k or so, so it's fine to just leave them)

2) I'm not quite sure what that means. Do you get that permissions error when attempting to load the program, or when running the installer? You might want to get something like BatChmod (check and check your permissions...

3) If the installer that you're using is carbonized (meaning it runs natively in OSX) it doesn't really matter which OS you run it under. If the installer isn't OSX native, then it's a really good idea to run it under OS 9 (not Classic).