Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Problem/Symptom:
I have one item on the tabs view that will not disappear. For those who don't know what tabs view is, it's the view that is seen when clicking the default top right icon (Show all tabs) in Safari on OS X. I only own one Mac, which is a Mac mini, and the "stuck" item appears in the tabs view on that Mac. Since I only own a single Mac, that item shouldn't be visible at all on that Mac. I also own an iPhone 6s, and that stuck item also appears in the tabs view on my iPhone.

What I have tried:
The tabs view in Safari on iOS allows one to remove these items by swiping left and then typing the close button ("X"), but this stuck item does not respond to swipes. This stuck item also does not respond to mouse-over events on my Mac mini. I have tried signing out of iCloud on both devices, as well as rebooting both devices, but those actions didn't resolve the issue.

Possible cause:
Four days ago (September 14), I used Safari on my Mac mini to open a page entitled "Create bootable installer for OS X", which is a support page on the Apple website. I used the information on that page to create a USB installer and reinstall OS X on my Mac mini. This stuck item appeared after a fresh install of OS X on my Mac mini.

What I need:
I need to learn how to remove this item from the tabs view. Any suggestions?

Screenshots:
The first screenshot is of Safari (tabs view) on my Mac mini running OS X 10.11.6. The second screenshot is of Safari (tabs view) on my iPhone running iOS 10.0.1.

stuck tab.png

IMG_0009.PNG

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That’s all I can suggest, sorry. iCloud is a blackbox and I am guessing that this is a server-side issue. Try turning off Safari in iCloud settings on your Mac and leave it off for a while. Perhaps this will clear the cache eventually.

Reactions: ardchoille50

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
That’s all I can suggest, sorry. iCloud is a blackbox and I am guessing that this is a server-side issue. Try turning off Safari in iCloud settings on your Mac and leave it off for a while. Perhaps this will clear the cache eventually.
I don't understand much about iCloud. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try disconnecting Safari from iCloud for a bit.

Wait 30 days. It will reset by itself.
Oh, so there is a time limit with iCloud tabs? That's good to know, thank you.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Supposedly. I’ve had iCloud bookmarks return even years after the feature was disabled. In any case, there is nothing else you can do about it.

Reactions: ardchoille50
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.