How do I report a site to the MPAA?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jalexster, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know how I can report a site with torrents of movies and shows (as well as some warez), to the MPAA. This sort of thing makes me sick. This guy at GameFAQs keeps advertising his site video2psp.com, which contains illegal material. Whenever someone mentions this, he goes librarian-poo (discworld-joke, if you don't understand, don't worry).

Anyway, how can I report his site, anonymously, without having to send an eMail, or something like that. Is there an online form I can fill in? Or can someone else do it for me?

2. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Are you seriously concerned about the MPAA?

Let people be. Aside from the fact that they probably already know about it.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If you're so worried about your anonymity why do you have you online IDs and email addresses in your sig?

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

So this is what you want his site to look like, eh?

"You can click but you can't hide." Hmm, it has a certain ring to it...

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I never realized they did that, didn't bother looking at the sites they shut down.

Sort of shows the MPAA has a sense of humor, while the RIAA doesn't (they sue dead people instead.)

7. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Man, I wish my life was as empty as yours. I've got so much stuff to do every day that I can never find the time to help a multi-billion dollar industry bust the little guy.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

The MPAA doesn't need your help, trust me. You can bet they already know about these guys.

9. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Honestly man who cares. Plus the fact that they are charging these ubsurd prices for there products makes more people pirate. 10bucks for a movie 22 for new dvds , its nuts. studies have shown that people who pirate always have pirated when people who bought music cds and went to movies and buy dvds still do so. I did a whole big project on the RIAA and in fact music sales are steadily increasing still. For instance my cuzin always bought cds and still goes to the store and buys new cds. Even though p2p software has come out.

10. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

OMG :eek: (lol)

they prolly know allready indeed.

does the first stone realy need to be thrown?

11. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Do you think he knows the proprietor of said torrent site? Maybe he has a personal beef with someone involved, and doesn't want to be tracked as he knows it is a spineless thing to do to someone?

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

A couple of things, please cut out the personal attacks, it's a bannable offence (Diatribe).

Jalexter is perfectly entitled to report what he likes to whomsoever he likes, and he's entitled to discuss it here, without being leapt on from a great height. If you can't post useful discussion, please don't post at all.

I've not closed the thread, because the MPAA and their activities are worthy of discussion.

Play nice.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

MPAA is not your friend. If they had their way, VHS and DVD would not have existed, nor would P2P, which is the future of movie distribution anyway. If the MPAA could get their heads out of their asses, they should embrace new technology and not try to sue every Tom Dick and Harry.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you really want them to stop then you wont mind telling them who you are. Why do you want to be secretive about it?

15. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

torrent sites etc are going the same way napster did, and we all remember that. one goes down 50 pop up. there's no point doing anything about it, it'll run its course. look at the music p2p thing now - p2p is declining and the use of stores such as iTMS is increasing hugely.

so let it run its course and we'll se legal movie download services soon :rolleyes:

16. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

why does some crappy site with like 14 torrents make you want to go on a crusade?? and why are you so concerned about staying anonymous, do you think the people who run the site are going to try and track you down, when its their own fault that they aren't even trying to disguise the fact that they host torrents?

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well really, you'd think Jalexter was the criminal by the way 80% of youse are responding

It's not about MPAA, it's not about protecting Sony/Bill Gates/RIAA/Celine Dion/whatever rich (non)-victim you want to set up to ridicule. It's about piracy.

Rampant piracy means that now in Canada I have to pay an extra $2.10 on every 10 CD-R's I buy *to back up my own data* because of the Canadian Recording Rights Levy. I buy 1000's of CDs per year. So yeah; I pay bigtime because these tossers figured it was great to trade in pirated goods and there was little chance they will get caught.

Why would J. want to remain anonymous? I guess none of you have ever been Joe-Jobbed or mailbombed or fraudulently subscribed to 100 mailing lists. I lost about $2K of orders in one morning because some yobbo kept sending me 10 MB email attachments and brought down my mailboxes. The lone idiot who sells pirated stuff is likely to have the time and lack of compunction to do damage if the idea occurs to them.

18. PhantomVI macrumors newbie

Its Obvious

Come on guys, he put the site's address in his post for crying out loud. He's not trying to get it shut down, he's using a sneaky way to promote it.

19. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I hardly think you can blame piracy on the Canadian Recording Rights Levy. There is plenty of piracy in the US and we have no such levy or tax on recordable media. Such mesaures are more the responsibility of your government than pirates.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm glad I'm not the only sceptical one out there.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is nothing more than I'm insulted so I'm going to ruin it for everyone else rather than mind my own business and let the MPAA handle it on their own. If you don't want to use the site than don't use it and let those who want to risk it go down in flames when they get caught.

22. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Don't be a snitch. :mad:

Want that guy to hunt you down???

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Huh? That *was* the cause = effect. The levy was brought in, and the Canadian Private Copying Collective was created, explicitly to provide revenue to copyright holders for their losses due to unauthorized audio recording copying.

Just because the US does not have a recording media levy (yet) doesn't mean that piracy was not the proximate cause of our levy...
    http://neil.eton.ca/copylevy.shtml
    "At least 25 countries, including most G-7 and European Union members, have introduced comparable regimes with respect to the private copying of sound recordings. Canada is one of the last to do so."

There was also a levy of $15 on recorders 1-10 Gb and $25 on recorders >10 Gb (like iPods), although that decision has been overturned by the court and is now under appeal.

You want to fight for the freedom to copy (torrent, lime, kaz, whatever) and you'll end up with tariffs on your disks, tape, flash memory and hard drive players too.

24. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Wooohooo! we have the first smart posted in this thread. Did anybody else notice that he's from australia and asking about an american association? Free press for him, and he had a great way to do it too!

BEN

25. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Will all due respect (and I really mean that) the cause of unfair taxation is the governments that impose them. Canada is a fine country, but one that has a track record of unnecessary government sanctions and taxes. Ask any Canadian who wants to watch HBO and can't if the government always makes fair and logical decisions about what their citizens can and cannot do.

The United States will never impose a tax on recordable media. This is not because the US is a better country. Believe me, many of us know our shortcomings. The reason you will never see such a tax in the US is because it is not logical to make the leap that piracy should affect the cost of recordable media. And in the US, we respect the free market more than the government's rights to take our money.

What's next, a piracy tax on your high-speed internet service because there is piracy on the web? What about a piracy tax on your mail service? Where will these taxes end? I understand that the Canadian government says that the reason for the tax is piracy. But I ask you, where do your tax dollars go? Are they affecting piracy in Canada? I doubt it. I'd like them to prove that this tax is a logical effect of piracy.