How do I revert a file back to not having an application associated with it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ieani, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

A windows friend of mine was on his girlfriend's macbook attempting to install an xvid codec and somehow assigned the codec to MS Word.

We believe this to be the problem causing xvid movies to not work. Since I sent him my functional codec and installed it in the same place that mine is. My codec also adopted the word as its application.

Is there a way to unassign any program at all? So it can revert back to being a component file? I tried to go through its properties but I could not find any option for unassinging all apps just for assigning a new app. There must be at least a way to do it through terminal, if not an easier way?

Thanks!

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

For this, I use the System Extension RCDefaultApp.

It's one of those features that, in my mind, Apple just forgot about. :)

3. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

I don't have a direct answer to your question (but the best thing to do would be to simply decide what program you want to use for a given file type and select that program under "Get Info" for a file of that type, then hit the "change all" button), but as for running videos you would do well to install Perian and be done with it. It makes xvid, divx and all those separate installations obsolete. Get it here:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/perian.html

4. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

thanks. i had never heard about this and will check it out.