How do I rip DVD's?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cocopelli, Mar 19, 2004.

1. cocopelli macrumors member

What software do I need? All I seem to be finding is players not rippers. Could someone please help me?? thanx

Ben

2. cicadettini macrumors newbie

More info coco

What do you have?

I mean it is hard to give an answere to this question.

But if you already have a drive that will read dvd's then you can make an image of the disk in disk utility. If not then you will have to have an external drive.

Note: Earlier versions used Disc Copy to create disk images. 10.3 now has this in Disk utility

3. sparky76 macrumors regular

Try DVD Backup. You should find it on versiontracker.com

4. cocopelli thread starter macrumors member

ive got a dvd drive, I was thinking more into Divx format or somthing like that, so I could watch movies off my harddrive. would a disk image just make an entire copy of it? I was looking for somthing to compress the files. sorry I should have been more clear before. thanx again

5. aslauga macrumors member

Looking for the same thing I found something called Handbrake. I have no idea how good it is relative to anything else, but what it does is takes DVD movies and deposit them as .avi files on my desktop. You can also specify the target file size to compress to, although I haven't tried that yet. It's nice and straightforward to use, especially for me as I didn't really know what I was doing.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yep, handbrake works very well. very simple to use and gives you pretty good quality movie to watch off of your HD.

(the only problem is time. it takes about 4-5 hours on my 867 12" Pb to rip one movie...)

i've made copies of several movies with a target size of 655 MB. that way, i can save each one back on a CD-R as a backup of a backup, if i choose to. (and also since i only have a combo drive.)

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Please search, this question has been asked and answered a zillion times before!

8. briankonar macrumors regular

forty-two is my favorite compression utility for video.
    openshiiva is nice too, MP4 format.

burning encrypted dvd's is a little more complex, but quite easy, PM me if you need help.

9. cschilderink macrumors newbie

Fast DVD Copy

Fast DVD Copy
    http://www.fastdvdcopy.com/
    This is a new program much like DVD X Copy for Windows.
    It is a one click DVD copying software.
    It will even copy the DVD Menus.
    It takes about 90min to copy a DVD (rip, compress, burn)
    There is a free trial verion that allows you to copy 1 DVD.
    You can also buy it for $100.

DVD Backup...DVD2OneX...Toast
    This process is completely free!
    First Rip the DVD via DVD Backup.
    Secondly put it into DVD2OneX and compress it in movie mode to about 4.28GB. Before putting it into Toast you must remove all files that DO NOT end with .VOB.
    Thirdly put it into Toast and Burn!