How do I run an app designed for System 6.0.7 on OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sesshi, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Question as title. There are some old titles I'd just like to catch up with.

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Unless they're updated for OS X I think you're SOL.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You probably just want to run OS6 or 7 on a 68000 Mac emulator like Basilisk II. You'll need a ROM from the right vintage Mac.

B

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Most apps, so long as they don't do anything "clever" will work if you have Classic installed. If you're on an Intel system then you don't have Classic and will need to look into emulation.

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Hmmm... so perhaps better to ebay some superannuated Mac?

6. RacerX macrumors 65832

... or don't run in a 32 bit environment... I have apps that won't run on systems running System 7.x.x (Macromind Director 2 is one title that comes to mind off hand).

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is going back a bit, but wasn't there an option in 7 to reboot in 24-bit mode? Presumably it's long gone in 9 though.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IIRC, there were two INITs/Extensions (one from Apple, another from Connectix eventually adopted by Apple) that allowed 24-bit systems to run in 32-bit mode, but not vice-versa. If the OP's application was designed for System 6.0.7 (and nothing earlier), then it should run in Classic.

9. RacerX macrumors 65832

it was in the memory control panel in 7.x.x... I still kept my old system (back around 1991) able to dual boot between 7.0 and 6.0.8 for some apps because some of the issues didn't go away with switching just the mode.

Of course 68000 systems were stuck in that 24 bit mode all the time. And Apple dropped both support for the 24 bit mode and support for 24 bit hardware in Mac OS 7.6 as I recall.