Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Seriously, this is going to sound retarded, but I can't figure out whether I have an :apple:TV 2 or 3.

I got the thing as a gift, which is cool enough, but I can't find out anywhere if it's an :apple:TV 1, 2 or 3. Not in the box, product information, anywhere.

Is the difference between 1, 2 and 3 just software? If not, how the hell do I check what species it is?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Oh, also, while I'm here: does anyone know a conversion tool that looks up metadata for movies, is free, and most important of all: Fast? I need to convert 77 blu-ray movies, not counting my blu-ray series. I'm not planning on leaving my mac on for three full weeks.

Actually, scratch the free part. Most importantly it needs to be fast.

Thanks!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Seriously, this is going to sound retarded, but I can't figure out whether I have an :apple:TV 2 or 3.

I got the thing as a gift, which is cool enough, but I can't find out anywhere if it's an :apple:TV 1, 2 or 3. Not in the box, product information, anywhere.

Is the difference between 1, 2 and 3 just software? If not, how the hell do I check what species it is?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Oh, also, while I'm here: does anyone know a conversion tool that looks up metadata for movies, is free, and most important of all: Fast? I need to convert 77 blu-ray movies, not counting my blu-ray series. I'm not planning on leaving my mac on for three full weeks.

Thanks!
ATV2: MC572LL/A, A1378
ATV3: MD199LL/A, A1427

For your Blu Ray ripping needs, check out the sticky on the top of the page...

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
On the box, if it says 1080P in big letters its ATV3.

----------

Thanks in advance.

Thanks!

MakeMKV & Handbrake is really all you need. Both are free (MakeMKV is free for 30 days.) If you get a decent BD-ROM drive, you can rip a movie in under an hour, but it takes at least 2-3 hours to encode it. So, you may be leaving it on for 3 weeks straight ;)

Rho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Ah, thanks to both of you, that helped.

Cheers!

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
77 Blu-Rays to rip and encode? You may need even more than 3 weeks. :D

Unless you have a 12-core Mac Pro cranking 24/7 and all the BD's ripped already it is going to be a rather time consuming process...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.