How do I set this network up right?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by someguy, Mar 20, 2007.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I need to share files between my PB (10.4.9) and my iMac (10.3.9). The problem is the way I have my network set up.

I have my modem plugged into a 5-port switch, feeding 3 computers (including the iMac) internet. The remaining port plugs into my AirPort Express Base Station which allows my PB to connect to the internet wirelessly. Everything works great except my iMac can only see the other computers plugged into the switch, and cannot see my PowerBook.

Is there anything I can do to link these two computers together other than change my network configuration?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Seems like it would be a fairly simple thing to just plug your PB into the switch, since the iMac can see those computers.

My guess is that the Airport is providing a DHCP IP address to your PB which is outside the hard-wired IP range - on a separate subnet.

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I need to be able to roam wirelessly, plus my PowerBook is in another room half the time.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Is this device a router? If so, disable DHCP server on the airport express (uncheck Distribute IP Addresses in the Network tab of Airport Admin)

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sorry, my initial impression was that it was a one-time thing. :eek:

It sounds like you have a router connected to your cable modem that provides DHCP services to the wired computers as well as to the AEBS. Not sure how to get the AEBS to subsequently provide IP addresses on the same subnet to your PB, since you'd then have 2 DHCP servers on the same subnet, which I think is problematic.

I imagine the Airport Express Setup Assistant should be able to help, at least it implies your setup should work in the User Guide, though doesn't give many details.

Edit: took too long looking stuff up. I think kingjr3 has a potential solution for you.

6. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

So obvious! Thanks! :)