How Do I setup Cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macette, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

I'm about to organise a DSL connection for a guy I work for. He can either pay $250 to have a tech come out and do the installation, or I can do it, and charge him less. But I've never done it before.

I'm not asking necessarily every step I need to go through... although if you want to tell me that would be great!.... but I guess I just want to know if it's simple (I work most stuff out myself on my Mac) or if it's really tricky.

Basically, we'll get a 4-port DSL modem and connect a few machines to it. They're running OS X and OS 9 at different times.

So is it hard?

edit: changed all dumbass references to cable to 'DSL' Am dork. Will fix.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Nope. Should be almost plug-and-play, just a brief configuration i think and then setting all the computers TCP/IP settings to match--

if you want to connect more than 4, it might be more difficult, i'm not sure...

pnw

3. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

Just what I like to hear. I've done a fair bit of general network configuration in the past, so I know how to set that side of it.

What about phone lines and stuff? I keep reading things about 'splitters' and other scary things.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ok you have me confused now. you said cable connection but then you said you had a dsl modem. cable is a sinch, just plug and play. if its dsl it can be trickier. i have sbc dsl and it was much trickier than cable modem that i use as well. specify which one you have first and we can help you out more.

iJon

5. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

You will only need a splitter if the cable line will be the same one from your television.

If you have a dedicated cable running from the wall directly to the cable modem, then you will not need a splitter.

7. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Oh now you change it from Cable to DSL!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just get a two-way phone line splitter(if needed).

Run the RJ-11 line(phone line) from the wall to the modem.
    Then connect the RJ-45 cable (Ethernet) from the modem to the WAN port on the Router.
    Then connect all the computers to the router.

8. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

what you are worried about are the filters. they are for when you do not install a new DSL only physical line. if you are using existing line, you will probably have to install filters on every phone. this is so you do not hear the background hiss that DSL causes when being used on same line (physical) as telephone. DSL runs at much higher power than phone signal, and it ends up being audible over the phone lines.

if your friend is getting a new physical line installed just for the DSL, you have no worries.

setup of the modem itself should be simple enough.