How do I setup up a network>?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by WillMak, Aug 3, 2005.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

All three of my computers right now (2 pcs one mac) all usewireless internet. I'm sure there's someway where I can connect all three so that I can easily swap files with them correct? I've been using the preference setting on my notebook but I can't seem to get this accomplished. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should be doing? :confused:

2. RJP31484 macrumors regular

3. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks dood!!!

4. RJP31484 macrumors regular

5. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I have a question...I have a wireless router setup in my office via Verizon DSL. However, I never set up my Powerbook to use it. My PB is my only computer. I know nothing about wireless networking or anything, so don't shoot me for a stupid question. Can someone help me?

6. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Wireless networking requires you know how the access point is setup. If it uses AdHoc mode, you can probably connect to it by setting up your wireless card and using any of a number of tools (google for them or check some of the more common Mac program download sites like versiontracker) that will seek out any wireless network within range.

On the other hand, if the access point uses infrastructure mode, you'll need to know the SSID (essentially the network's given name) before you can do anything with it. You could get that information from whoever admins your network.

7. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin