How do i share a folder in OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Besides the Public folder, is it possible to enable sharing of other folders. I thought I'd done this in Jaguar but can't find anything in Panther.

It's easy in Windows so I figure OSX must be able to as well.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sorry - Mac OS X won't let you do this (at least through the GUI - I believe it's possible from Terminal, but I am not familiar with the configuration files that need to be changed). No version of Mac OS X had this ability - not Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, or Panther. I'd expect Tiger to be the same.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I think it's all or nothing. The sharing options are in System Preferences->Sharing

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, the Sharing feature shares your entire home directory, not just your Public folder (at least in Jaguar and Panther it does). I was able to access my Music, Documents, Pictures, Library, and Sites folders from a Windows machine connected to my Mac. However, there isn't a way to share other folders.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you can change permissions on the folders you are interested. easiest way would be through the terminal, but you can do it with apple-I as well.

the thing is, you have to share all the folders above the one you want to ultimately want to share. and the settings depend on whether you want everyone to be able to write to the folder or just read from it...

tell us more specifically what kind of sharing you want to do and where?

edit: ok, one confusion... do you want to share folders with other computers? or do you want to share folders between different users on OS X? if it's the former, then i don't think there's any way you can share more than the way already described in this thread..?

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

two ways of doin it. one, there is an app on versiontracker , called sharepoints, it lets you share any folder.

second, you can edit the smb.conf file which is in etc/samba.

cheers

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks abhishekit! I was wondering what the name of the file you needed to edit was called. I'm not familiar with that file (I've never looked at it, nor do I know what the options do).

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If you have admin privileges you can select your hard drive and see every thing on it.

10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Its not very difficult.
    If you open that file (/etc/smb.conf), and add something like

[songs]
    comment = "Songs"
    path = /Users/yourname/music/iTunes
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
    create mask = 644
    directory mask = 755

it would put your iTunes folder to share. Likewise you can set any folder.

cheers

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I didn't know it was THAT simple. Maybe I'll look into it myself (I have a reason for editing this file - I want to back up my Windows box to my Mac's external hard drive).

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

SMB (aka Windows Sharing) = access to home folder
    AFS = just Public folder (guest enabled)

What I've been always having problems with is allowing guest access to shares with Windows machines. I can get into my Mac fine from Windows, but I need to be an admin to do so.

Edit: Even easier to enable multiple AFP shares.

Attached Files: