How do I share my ethernet internet conection over my Airport?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EasyB, Oct 22, 2006.

1. EasyB macrumors member

Jan 29, 2005
    Ok, it looks simple enough. Under sharing, I selected to share my Ethernet connection to computers using Airport. And I pressed start. But I am missing something.

---------My setup is------
    1 powerbook
    1 macbook
    1 wired ethernet connection from hotel wall

-------what I want to do is --------
    turn on internet sharing and use a ad-hoc connection to use the internet on the second machine using the airport

-I tried using DHCP on both machines, then I tried manual addressed with the same subnet as the host machines ethernets address. I think this is where I am failing. If someone could tell me what network settings to use, I think this would solve my problems.

Please help,
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA

I haven't personally done this on a Mac, but I'll try to help...

For your machine connected by ethernet (with the internet connection), you should have the built-in Ethernet settings configured for DHCP. That machine's AirPort TCP/IP settings should be configured manually, with the IP address,; subnet mask,; and router address,

For the other computer (connected only by AirPort), it's AirPort TCP/IP settings should be configured manually, with IP address,; subnet mask; and router address, <-That should be

3. EasyB thread starter macrumors member

Jan 29, 2005
    I tried that and it didn't work, so i moved the machines around. Using the other one as a host, the second machine found the network using DHCP before I could enter the manual settings and I was able to browse the internet.

For some reason when I try to share internet access with the other machine, it shows that I am sharing with the airport icon for like a second and then disconnects. So another problem for another day. Thanks for your help.