How do I share my ethernet internet conection over my Airport?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EasyB, Oct 22, 2006.

1. EasyB macrumors member

EasyB

Ok, it looks simple enough. Under sharing, I selected to share my Ethernet connection to computers using Airport. And I pressed start. But I am missing something.

---------My setup is------
    1 powerbook
    1 macbook
    1 wired ethernet connection from hotel wall

-------what I want to do is --------
    turn on internet sharing and use a ad-hoc connection to use the internet on the second machine using the airport

-I tried using DHCP on both machines, then I tried manual addressed with the same subnet as the host machines ethernets address. I think this is where I am failing. If someone could tell me what network settings to use, I think this would solve my problems.

Please help,
    thanks
    B-

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

(EDITED)

I haven't personally done this on a Mac, but I'll try to help...

For your machine connected by ethernet (with the internet connection), you should have the built-in Ethernet settings configured for DHCP. That machine's AirPort TCP/IP settings should be configured manually, with the IP address, 10.0.1.1; subnet mask, 255.255.255.0; and router address, 10.0.1.2.

For the other computer (connected only by AirPort), it's AirPort TCP/IP settings should be configured manually, with IP address, 10.0.1.2; subnet mask 255.255.255.0; and router address, 10.0.1.2 <-That should be 10.0.1.1.

3. EasyB thread starter macrumors member

EasyB

I tried that and it didn't work, so i moved the machines around. Using the other one as a host, the second machine found the network using DHCP before I could enter the manual settings and I was able to browse the internet.

For some reason when I try to share internet access with the other machine, it shows that I am sharing with the airport icon for like a second and then disconnects. So another problem for another day. Thanks for your help.

-Brian