How Do I Specify Where to Download Files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ScarletRed, Jun 27, 2006.

1. ScarletRed macrumors regular

ScarletRed

Earlier I downloaded an updated driver for a trackball, but my laptop never asked me where or which directory to download the files. How would I make the OS X ask me the destination folder? For instance, if I were to install Civilizations IV, I'd want to do so into the Games directory. But without any kind of control over destination directory, how would I know where these files are being stored?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What app are you using to download these files? If it's Safari, you can change the download location in the Preferences (Safari menu). :)

3. ScarletRed thread starter macrumors regular

ScarletRed

How about installations from a CD or a DVD? Right now, I have so many files in Applications folder, it's an unsightly mess! Would it be alright if I sort/categorize these apps into appropriate sub-folders? If I did go ahead and relocate these files, would there be any negative consequences? For instance, let's say I move Microsoft Office into Microsoft folder. Next time I click on Microsoft Office icon in the dock, will it run properly without complications?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That would work fine, however, I wouldn't suggest that you move any Applebranded applications. They really need to stay in their default locations for the purposes of updateability.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Also, it's probably safer to keep all apps that need an installer in the Applications folder or wherever their default location is. Apps that can be dragged from DMGs or CD/DVDs to be installed should be able to be placed anywhere though. :)