How do i speed my mac up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chriscon, Feb 9, 2007.

1. chriscon macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2006

I have a 500mhz Power PC G4 and need to make it quicker, i have another similar mac which is 450mhz but it performs faster than the higher spec one. Could anyone tell me ways of making my mac perform faster, i know it isn't a Ram issue as there is already 1.25 gb in it, any help would be helpful!

Also i have just instaled a second int hard drive in it as the basic 40gb is full, would this slow it down? would it help if i was to move a lot of this work onto the second 80gig drive?

Thanks in advance
  2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Assuming you are running MacOS X, then yes; having a full startup disk can hurt performance and is also unsafe. Running any HFS+ volume at greater than 90% capacity can lead to filesystem corruption (given the right conditions).
  3. chriscon thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2006
    cheers for the reply,

so you recommend i move a lot of my files on the new drive then? Anything else that would help speed?
  4. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Running maintenance scripts and optimizing your system relatively often might help too. These things will get done automatically, but might help a little if run more frequently.

I'd recommend a program like OnyX. You can also use OnyX to turn off some of the more superfluous eye-candy that might drag your system a bit.

OnyX can be found here: