Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Fukui
Hope it works out fine.
Ok, I cant now get access to the applications folder directly. This is great!! However, I have found a way in via the Dock. If I click and hold on an application I can tell it to "show in finder". Any ideas how to remove this option from the Dock (for non-admin accounts).??

Thanks again.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
Ok, I cant now get access to the applications folder directly. This is great!! However, I have found a way in via the Dock. If I click and hold on an application I can tell it to "show in finder". Any ideas how to remove this option from the Dock (for non-admin accounts).??

Thanks again.
Yea it shows this menu, but when you choose it, the finder should show nothing right?

**Just as a note, the finder caches things so when you are choosing to "show in finder" its not actually accessing the icon, its remembering it...
The solution is to re-login or quit the finder, and it wont work any more.

If you wanna make any menus unusable, you need to edit the .plist file in the actual dock application. To do this, go to /system/library/CoreServices/ and select the dock, and choose to "view package contents" then navigate to the Contents/Resources/English.lproj or whatever language you are using (make sure the users cannot change thier language settings if you dont wanna edit all of them,) and open the file called DockMenus.plist . You'll need a program called plist editor which comes with the free developer tools, or you can edit it with textedit (you'll have to edit the XML directly though.)

**You'll need to change permission to your user temporaraly or login as root to save the changed file.

What you do then is find the subcategory called processes under "root" and then open the third one labeld "3." Select the 3 and choose "New Child," now label that child "enabled" and press tab to end the editing. Be careful because the editor will re-order the list by alphabet so what you selected won't be the same, so reselect the enabled category that you added, and change the "Class" from string to boolean, and then under "Value" change that to "no."

I've enclosed a picture of what to add in english.
You can see the path on the top of the picture.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 76

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Fukui
Yea it shows this menu, but when you choose it, the finder should show nothing right?

**Just as a note, the finder caches things so when you are choosing to "show in finder" its not actually accessing the icon, its remembering it...
The solution is to re-login or quit the finder, and it wont work any more.

If you wanna make any menus unusable, you need to edit the .plist file in the actual dock application. To do this, go to /system/library/CoreServices/ and select the dock, and choose to "view package contents" then navigate to the Contents/Resources/English.lproj or whatever language you are using (make sure the users cannot change thier language settings if you dont wanna edit all of them,) and open the file called DockMenus.plist . You'll need a program called plist editor which comes with the free developer tools, or you can edit it with textedit (you'll have to edit the XML directly though.)

**You'll need to change permission to your user temporaraly or login as root to save the changed file.

What you do then is find the subcategory called processes under "root" and then open the third one labeld "3." Select the 3 and choose "New Child," now label that child "enabled" and press tab to end the editing. Be careful because the editor will re-order the list by alphabet so what you selected won't be the same, so reselect the enabled category that you added, and change the "Class" from string to boolean, and then under "Value" change that to "no."

I've enclosed a picture of what to add in english.
You can see the path on the top of the picture.
Again, thanks! I have actually adjusted your first suggestion + changed the individual permission in the applications folder. For example, I changed the permissions to execute only on the Microsoft Office folder. This seems to have worked. When now using the "show in finder" option from the dock I get an access denied message.

Excellent. Greatly appreciate your help.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
What kind of permissions can PathFinder do that the standard Get Info>Ownership&Permissions can't do? They both seem to do standard chmod stuff.
Finder doesn't let you change execution permissions, only read/write.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
Again, thanks! I have actually adjusted your first suggestion + changed the individual permission in the applications folder. For example, I changed the permissions to execute only on the Microsoft Office folder. This seems to have worked. When now using the "show in finder" option from the dock I get an access denied message.

Excellent. Greatly appreciate your help.
Glad it helped!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.