how do I switch from wireless to ethernet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flat6, Jun 13, 2005.

1. flat6 macrumors regular

My laptop (G4 PB on Tiger) automatically acesses the wireless system here on campus. Even when I have a cable running to my ethernet port, and Network settings say "You are connected to the Internet via Built-in Ethernet", it's still the wireless connection that's being used.

How do I tell my computer to use Ethernet for its internet connection instead of the wireless signal it detects?

2. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, is there any other way to do it except forcibly turning AirPort off?

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just turn off your airport card. You can do it from the bar on top of the screen.

Edit: ignore this, I was too slow to see your second post.

Edit 2: Actually, whats wrong with turning off your airport card?

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

yea just turn airport off. click on the airport signal thing on the top menu bar, click Turn AirPort Off

it should then use the ethernet

5. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Not too much, I guess. But it would have been more intuitive to be able to see your internet-connect options and switch between them, as opposed to killing one and then having the other take over. Just a little confusing the first time around for newbies as myself :)

6. hodgjy macrumors 6502

You don't have to turn off the airport card. Under system preferences, network:

[​IMG]

Drag items in the order in which you want your computer to connect.