How do I sync iTunes files to multiple iPods different sizes?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MacFanJeff, Feb 4, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

I have searched but either overlooked or can't find an answer to this and am hoping someone can help that has done this before.

What I want to do is to sync my iTunes files to different iPods that are different sizes in memory. For example, I have both an iPod Touch 16GB and an iPod Classic 64GB size. Obviously all my files won't fit on the 16GB model so I select the "sync on checked selections" box and chose what I want. But this creates a problem because I really need to have 2 profiles that are for each iPod I own. That way I don't have to keep checking and unchecking selections each time I plug in a different iPod that is a different size.

Is there a way to make a "profile" for each iPod you own for the same iTunes library? How do I sync them to my different iPods that are of different memory sizes?

Thanks for any input on this.

2. macrumors 68000

Well, each iPod will remember what playlists you have synced on each.

I have 2 iPhones in our house, an iPod Video (60GB) and an original Nano and each syncs based on what I have chosen (checked).

I am not sure why you are having issues with the 16GB. :confused:

I also don't sync everything to ANY of my iPods as my Library is above and beyond 60GB. I made a few playlists that I pick and choose between.

Is that the problem? Are you picking/checking individual items/songs/videos and not playlists? If so, build some playlists and pick and choose which playlists you want on which iPod.

3. macrumors 68000

steve-p

I just make a separate playlist for each one of my iPods and iPhone, containing the appropriate amount of music to fill it. It's a bit of a nuisance setting it up in the first place, but it works OK.

Also I have two formats for every song - lossless and AAC. All the lossless ones go to Apple TV (with a smart playlist based on format) and the AAC versions go to everything else, in varying amounts.

It's not the easiest thing to manage multiple formats and/or devices in iTunes without a fair bit of work setting it up.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, that should help. I was in fact checking individual songs/videos/podcasts and apps, not making playlists. I just wanted a way to have everything I wanted on my largest iPod but the iPod touch to have a trimmed down version for all the apps on it and my most recent podcasts and favorite songs.

I will give the playlist thing a try and see how that works. You would think by now Apple would have come up with a way to create "profiles" for people to save "snapshots" of different configurations for all the different sized iPods. That way you would just create a "profile" for each iPod you own and be done with it.

5. macrumors 68000

But essentially there are profiles for each iPod you own. When you go to the iPod in iTunes, each tab shows you what playlists/videos/movies/TV shows/podcasts/etc are synced. This is not the same for every iPod you own. It is different for each one...essentially a 'profile' for that specific iPod.