Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigwurt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Hi,

I recently installed iTunes on my new computer and synchronized songs etc. from my external HDD. I went to the App Store to download some apps, but when I am trying to synchronize the apps from iTunes to my iPhone, it says it have to overwrite my existing apps...
Since I bought my iPhone late this summer, I have downloaded all my apps directly from the app store on my iPhone, and now when I'm trying to install apps from iTunes, does it have to overwrite my existing apps on the iPhone? I have a lot of apps on my iPhone now which I don't want to lose, so I wondered if there was a way of synchronizing apps from the iPhone to iTunes or something? Or to synchronize it some way without deleting my existing apps on the iPhone?

I'm a little new to this forum and not that familiar to iTunes yet, but thanks for any advice :p

- Sigwurt

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You to right click under your phone in the left pane of iTunes and select transfer purchases (from the iPhone). This will transfer all your apps from the iPhone to iTunes. Then just sync as normal and all your apps will be on the phone. FYI, Even if you didn't do this, you could still redownload the apps for free.

sigwurt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks for reply!

I've tried to transfer purchases from the iPhone, but it seems that it won't work.. Actually I can't find the apps that should be transferred, and it keep saying that it will overwrite my existing apps..:( I was hoping there was another way but deleting all my existing apps, because there are so many apps to reinstall if I have delete them.. Any other ways of fixing this problem?:confused:

sigwurt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Never mind my earlier post, I managed to solve my problem :p
I backed up my iPhone in the left pane in iTunes and then just tried to synchronize my apps, ignoring the "overwrite" message. When I clicked agree to overwrite it said that I had paid apps on the iPhone and asked if I would synchronize these with iTunes, I did that, and then I could just synchronize my apps from the computer to the iPhone without deleting my existing apps :D

huve

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2009
Misleading warning

I had the same dilemma because I thought it would overwrite my iphone apps without giving me options. I spent over an hour trying to look for a solution. The warning is misleading. Thanks for you post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.