How do i take my entire music library from my old PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fcbarcelonacata, Feb 6, 2007.

1. fcbarcelonacata macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2007
    so i have about 40 gbs of music on itunes on my PC- i'm buying a macbook pro and i heard that you cant transfer music- is there a way to do it- and will i need to network the two computers to do so?
  2. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    Wireless networking will take ages...try connecting them with an ethernet cable and it won't take long...or put the songs on your iPod (if you have one) and transfer them (although this will take longer)...
  3. fcbarcelonacata thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2007
    wait i can take music off an ipod right into a mac? cause i know you cant take musci off an ipod onto a pc
  4. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yes you can, for both Macs and PCs - there are programs that will do it easily.

Your best bet is to download Senuti onto your Mac and use that to transfer music/podcasts/videos from your iPod to your Mac. It can transfer playlists from the iPod to the Mac as well so if you make sure your iPod is a good reflection of your PCs iTunes Library you can copy it to your Mac right off your iPod.

Make sure you set your iPod to manually manage songs and playlists before you dismount it from the PC just to make sure the Mac doesn't want to over-write it's music library. It probably won't but it's nice to be safe.
  5. fcbarcelonacata thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2007
    ok awesome thank you very much!! where can i download senuti? is that the best program for music transfer from ipod to computer
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    You can download Senuti from the Senuti website. Google is your friend.

It's the best one I know - has a really good interface.
  7. WillJS macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2007
    If you're iPod is a 40GB+ then do this (if not, you will have to do it more times)

When you install iTunes on the MBP, it will create a folder in the Music folder called 'iTunes', this will be the folder we will use later on.

Plug your iPod into the PC and enable disk use. Now, reset (refresh) you iPod (wide it). On your pc go to: My Music/iTunes and copy those folders. Now find your iPod (it will be listed as a drive) and paste those items into it. Plug into MBP and highlight those files and drag to the 'iTunes' folder on the MBP. That will just tell iTunes where to find the music, it won't add in into the library. Highlight the files in the iTunes music folder on the mac and drag in to the iTunes library and it will import them.

This is how I did it moving from PC to Mac.

*you will need latest version of iTunes (maybe)
    * article: Article varies from my desription.. but same thing.