How do I test a 2nd hand Dual 2ghz G5??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PRØBE, Jul 21, 2004.

1. PRØBE macrumors member

I am going to check out a dual 2ghz Rev A G5 on Friday. It's selling for a reasonable 2200 Euros (2666 US). The Rev B 2ghz is currently priced at 3344 US with tax included my local Apple reseller in Portugal, so about a 680 dollar saving.

The guy tells me it's had a fresh install of the OS, and no upgrades so it comes exactly the same as when it was bought. My question is seeing as it doesn't have Photoshop or any other non bundled software on it, how can I test it out? If there were for example an overheating problem due to faulty fans, would the processor get up enough speed just running the os for them to show up?

Are there any other tests I should run on it before handing over all that hard-earned cash? Eg ram/hard disk? If so I haven't a clue of how to go about it so any and all tips would be welcome.

I know the Apple store in the US probably sells refurbs for less than I'm considering paying, but we have no Apple stores and the resellers don't do refurbs here.

Thanks in advance :)

2. mkaake macrumors 65816

open up the side panel and turn on the computer. as long as the fans kick on high gear, you'll be aight.

and since they didn't start shipping until late last year, you've still got some applecare on any rev a g5... and a few months left to boot before it becomes a buy or die thing.

oh, and make sure he/she gives you the OS cd's. no fun like not having the OS cd's...

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Ask for a 1 or 2 day return period from the person, to make sure it's not a lemon. I think a lot of reasonable sellers would do this.

Lee Tom

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The G5 should have come with a DVD named "Software Install and Restore (Includes Apple Hardware Test)".

Insert it into the DVD player and restart holding down the 'C' key.

The hardware test lets you run extensive tests of the system to verify that it's all working.

And, as mentioned, AppleCare should still be available.

5. PRØBE thread starter macrumors member

testing

That sounds good. What kind of tests are they and are they easy to perform?
    Would they take a long time to run?

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

its almost completely dependent on how much ram you have - that's the majority of the test, so the more ram, the longer it will take. if i recall, it took about 10 minutes on my emac(maybe it was more, maybe less... it was a while ago :) )

but it'll test all hardware... make sure the vid card is okay, make sure the ram is okay, airport extreme, etc. etc.

good test...

7. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Make sure that extended applecare hasn't been applied. If it is, then you will have a bit of trouble servicing it. Get the serial number and call applecare to check the status, just tell them your planning on purchasing the powermac and would like a check status of the computer.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

be forewarned: with a reasonable amount of RAM (1GB or more), it can take over half of an hour to run the whole suite.

9. PRØBE thread starter macrumors member

I'm catching on...

I'm getting there slowly...so If I've got this right, the hardware test option will show up on the screen if i reboot the mac with the "C" key down right?

It only has the basic 512 ram installed so the testing shouldnt take very long.

I'll be going from a 366mhz G3 clamshell if all this works out. Can't wait!

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My mistake - you hold down the Option key, not the 'C' key. Just did it to test.

Teh extended test takes up to 30 minutes for 512MB. G5's fans will run loudly at times - not an indication of a bad system. Best of luck!

Edit: 'C' key brings up OS X Install and lets you get at Disk Utility, BTW). You have to read the PDF on the disk before booting into it to know to use the Option key.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

PR0BE:

Did you see that last post?

And just to be clear - you need to insert the DVD named "Software Install and Restore (Includes Apple Hardware Test)", then reboot and hold the Option key.

12. PRØBE thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone who chipped in

Ok got it.
    Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it all goes on Friday. BTW, the guy said in his ad that it is under guarantee until December so it's a fairly safe buy I think. These tests will enable me to just make sure it's all as it should be before I part with my cash though.

:)

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Best of luck!

And, of course, I forgot something else - holding down the option key on startup will let you choose where to boot from - it'll take a while to see the HW Test partition on the DVD. Once it shows up, click on it and press return (or, probably, just double click on it).

Then you're golden! Remember - loud fan noises are acceptible during the tests.