How do I test the speed of my base station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by The Stig, Feb 20, 2007.

1. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I have a base base station with N-enabled and I want to know how I can test it so I know for sure how many mbp/s I'm getting through N.

Any help?

The Stig

2. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

3. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

I may be wrong, but the iStat Pro widget has a network setting that I believe will show you both network activity going in and out. Giver 'er a try.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

The way I originally tested mine was to use Finder to copy a 1GB file from my MacBook Pro (wireless) to a Mac mini (wired).

While it was copying, I used Net Monitor 4.3.9 (the stopwatch function) to monitor how fast it was going.

Check this thread to see what that program looks like:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3351868&postcount=27

The other program I used was AJA KONA SYSTEMS TEST. I mounted a drive from my mini, set the prefs in Kona to allow network drives, then have it generate a 1GB file. Below is a test I just did. 10.4MB/s = 83.2Mb/s, which isn't bad. Almost as fast as wired 100Mbps connection. (But not faster than the 100Mbps ports on the back of the router). ;)

Have you seen the status screen in the AirPort Utility that shows you how fast each of the wireless clients are connected? That's pretty cool.

Attached Files: