how do i transfer keychains from 10.3 to 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andiwm2003, May 21, 2005.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

hi,

i did a clean install of tiger. i have my old system on an external disk. how do i transfer the old keychais to tiger? import doesn't work and the helpfile says i should create new keychains but that doesn't transfer the old passwords. :(

thanks for your help,

andi

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try making a backup of your new (Tiger) ~/library/keychains folder, and then copying the one from your Panther install over top of the Tiger one.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

This worked for me.

4. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

sorry for bumping this up again. when i copy the old keychains into the library the don't appear in the 10.4.1 keychain application. somehow the new keychain access does not recognize the old keychains. it's annoying because i don't want to type the whole stuff again.

thanks for any help,

andi

5. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Same trouble here.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

7. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

ops, no of course not.

but when i copied my keychains to the new tiger/user/library and the DOUBLECLICKED them one by one the showed up fine! thanks apple, it can be so easy.

now why do i have two system keychains that i can unlock, but not delete and my password for the key in there (in both of them its airport network) does not work :(

i have to admit, that i don't get the whole concept of this keychains. storing my passwords, i can get that. but what means unlocking a keychain? in order to see my passwords i have to type the keychain password anyway?

andi

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, sorry it's working so strangely for you (I didn't have any trouble for some reason). I think the idea of the master keychain password is that you may have many different passwords for different systems -- some require upper and lower case, or numbers and letters, or special characters vs. no special characters, or different lengths -- but this way, you can provide one central password and keep all of them in one place but still have them be secure. Your login keychain is basically available without password once you log in anyway, though, unless you change that preference in keychain assistant.