All iPads How do I transfer .mp4 videos from my computer to my iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhiladelphiaX, Dec 6, 2012.

1. macrumors member

This question is a two part question, but I really didn't feel like making two separate threads to ask the questions.

My first question is: How do I transfer videos from my computer to my iPad?

Right now, I'm trying to transfer a .mp4 file (same as MPEG) to my iPad. I'm unable to choose the option "save as" in Apple Quicktime without having to go pro -- is there any way around this?

I'd also like to know -- if I have an .mp4 video file on my computer, how do I go about transferring that .mp4 video from Quicktime ---> to iTunes ---> to my iPad?

Can I simply drag and drop the .mp4 file into iTunes?

My second question is: Why do .mp4 videos play really slow /choppy /unrendered on Quicktime on my computer?

I think it's important to note that I own a Gateway/Windows PC - could this have anything to do with it? Whenever I play videos on Windows Media Player, the videos are very clear in 1080p, smooth, and very quick (no lag, no choppiness, no freezing).

2. macrumors 65816

This is a very good program to convert video files to other formats:
    http://handbrake.fr

You can use that instead of Quicktime Pro.

To put a file in your iPad you can just use iTunes. Drag and drop then sync it to your idevice.

Some iPad Apps like VLC have their own library associated with the app. From itunes you can manage your iPad, find the VLC app, and it gives you an option to pick files from the file system (there is a section that says File Sharing where all the apps that do this are listed).

3. macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Find the source of the video, then dragg to iTunes.
    A good converter for me is called smart converter free on Mac app store

4. macrumors regular

Dropbox is another way to transfer, both ways.

5. macrumors regular

ditto for SmartConverter. great app!