How do I transfer music from iPod to Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EM87, Dec 4, 2006.

1. EM87 macrumors regular

Hi all I just got my first Mac in 8 years today! It is a iMac and I have a question about it, how do I copy all the music off of my iPod to the Mac without downloading any software? My Mac is not yet on the internet and I need to know how to if this if it is possible. Can anyone help?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Use whatever comp you're using to post on here to download Senuti and transfer it over to the iMac.

3. EM87 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, I can't believe how fast it is as well. I copied all 1800 songs in about 4 minutes.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Woah, that is fast. Check that the actual files copied across and not just links to your tracks. :)

5. EM87 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep they all copied across, I now longer have the iPod connected and they all play and in the music section there is now around 11Gb of music.:)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. projectle macrumors 6502

Another fun thing to do is to do
    ln -f /Volumes/<iPod_Name>/iPod_Control/Music/F{0-9,0-9}/* /Volumes/<iPod_Name>/Music

At which point, when you open iTunes, hold Option, create a new Library, point it to the iTunes Music Directory, Scan for files automatically, do not manage directory.

Now, when you plug your iPod into your computer, just open it up in Finder and click on the iTunes Library.xml file and iTunes will open using your iPod locally for your whole library. Even better, you can copy directly from there to your computer or to another iPod with a simple drag-drop in iTunes.

All it takes is using a little bit of the Terminal.