Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How Do I Transfer My iTunes Music, Books and Movies to a New Apple ID??
You can change the email address on your account, but you cannot transfer purchases from one Apple ID to another.

Frequently asked questions about Apple ID
Apple IDs cannot be merged. You should use your preferred Apple ID from now on, but you can still access your purchased items such as music, movies, or software using your other Apple IDs.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Books and movies, no dice.

I wanted to do this with my music and succeeded. First, open iTunes on an authorized computer and sync all your music with iTunes Match. It costs $25 a year for the service, yes.. but with over 5,000 songs, that ain't much. ;)

Once you have synced and iTunes Match has found all your music, download the new 256 kbps versions, create a smart folder with just those versions. Convert to mp3. Recreate the smart folder with only the mp3 versions, so as to eliminate any DRM versions of your old music. Click on one, select all, drag and drop to a new "music" folder on your desktop.

You now have drm free unlicensed versions of all your old music library in mp3 format.

Then de-authorize your computer from the old Apple ID (or use a different computer that is running iTunes witout an Apple ID as I did.)

You are free to import and add the mp3s to iTunes under your new/ different Apple ID. Worked for me, but it did take some patience, and time. Well worth it though!

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Books and movies, no dice.

I wanted to do this with my music and succeeded. First, open iTunes on an authorized computer and sync all your music with iTunes Match. It costs $25 a year for the service, yes.. but with over 5,000 songs, that ain't much. ;)

Once you have synced and iTunes Match has found all your music, download the new 256 kbps versions, create a smart folder with just those versions. Convert to mp3. Recreate the smart folder with only the mp3 versions, so as to eliminate any DRM versions of your old music. Click on one, select all, drag and drop to a new "music" folder on your desktop.

You now have drm free unlicensed versions of all your old music library in mp3 format.

Then de-authorize your computer from the old Apple ID (or use a different computer that is running iTunes witout an Apple ID as I did.)

You are free to import and add the mp3s to iTunes under your new/ different Apple ID. Worked for me, but it did take some patience, and time. Well worth it though!

Wow, that is a lot of work! I am tempted to doing that dare devil trapeze act, but it may be easier for me just to rebut the 16 songs I already purchased. I also have one movie and one TV Show.....I am assuming these items get treated just like songs....can not be transferred.

Thanks.

----------

You can change the email address on your account, but you cannot transfer purchases from one Apple ID to another.

Thanks, I think this answer provides the easiest solution.

----------

So how do I get music from both my "old" Apple ID and my "new" Apple ID onto my iPhone?? :confused:

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Honestly, I over-complicated it I think. I did it that way because I did not have a standardized format for all my music, it was AAC, max vbr, mp3, a hodge podge and that way simplified the massive task for me.

For you, if you know how to convert your purchased music to mp3 from Apple's drm format in iTunes, you can then export those and add them to the new Apple ID library. But you can't take the originals from one ID to another, plain and retarded simple. lol

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
For you, if you know how to convert your purchased music to mp3 from Apple's drm format in iTunes, you can then export those and add them to the new Apple ID library.

In the vast majority of cases (or maybe even all cases), content from iTunes Match isn't DRM-protected. There is no need to convert to MP3 unless you have a very old third-party player that doesn't support AAC.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Ok, your last sentence summed it up for me. I just wish I was able to export my music from my original Apple ID, to my new Apple ID. UGGGG!! :eek:

I know. I had a yahoo account and then got a dot mac one two years later - I am still put off by the lost access to my own property. Denied by Apple.. lol

Not like it would be hard for them to do, but so many people would be stealing stuff from loaded accounts. I can understand their trepidation I guess. Sucks to be us lol!:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.