How do I transfer my zip disks????????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac2004, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2004
    I have a bunch of old Zip Disks and when I purchased the Power Mac G5 a few years ago it never came with a Zip drive.

How can I transfer the information off these zip disks on to my hard drive?? What do I need to buy and what model? Do stores even sell these anymore for a Mac like Besy Buy, Comp USA, etc.??
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Just go to any electronics or office supply store and buy a USB Zip drive. Then just start copying over your data to your hard drive. Nothing complicated to know here.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Or if it is a one-shot deal, find a shop who will do the service of copying your zips onto CD for you. Check with copy places like Kinkos as well as computer stores.
  4. jessep28 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    Off topic but I remember when Zip discs were the way to go back then. How times have changed :).
  5. G.Kirby macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2005
    Swansea, South Wales
    Do you remember the SyQuest range? Those were the boys.....until you dropped a disk and lost all the work on it. SCSI Zip 100's were bullet proof and worked really well, the USB 250's in OS10 were two twitchy so we pulled over 50 drives from our class rooms and now go with USB memory sticks. :)