How do I turn down the fans or disable? MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erkanasu, Oct 21, 2006.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

There are ants in my MBP ( as i mentioned in another thread), How do I turn off the fans soo I can fry them? Also if the computer gets to be a cirtain temp will it shut off to save its self?

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Do you really want a bunch of dead ants inside your MBP? I personally would rather have live ants then dead ones. If you just leave it off for a while and let it cool down I'd imagine they'd come out to eat and not go back in.

3. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, they have been coming in and out for a few weeks. im worried about them ruining my mbp.

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Can you go without it for a couple days? I think they're probably going in there because its nice and warm. I also think that having the remnants of fried dead ants inside the MBP would be worse then alive ones that might leave at some point.

Perhaps you could stick it on an ice pack or something... cool it down a bunch and they won't want to stay in it.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I wouldn't try to boil them or freeze them - there's too much danger of damaging the computer.

Try to follow their trail to find where they're coming from (they're NOT living in the computer) and spread some cinnamon powder, or baby powder or chalk dust around the opening. They'll be gone in a couple of days. The ants currently in your computer won't be able to find their way back to their nest, and new ones will lose the pheromone trail leading them to your computer.

6. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

cool, yeah i believe they come up the white power adapter, ive had this thing on continuously for a while, this is a good idea. Plus im having my room sprayed next tuesday.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

8. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Can' you unscrew the back off and pick them out? It'd be pretty tedious to hunt them down with tweezers, but that's the sort of thing I'd do.

I'm not sure how the MBP is built, but can you take the back part off, or at least most of it?

Or like Abstract said, maybe bust out the vaccum and get them out that way.