How do I turn off this contextual search thing?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by The General, Nov 24, 2011.

1. macrumors 601

Jul 7, 2006
    MacRumors forums has this new feature where you highlight text and it gives you a button to search what you've highlighted. I hate it. I highlight text while I read it, I never want to search it. Even if I did, I could just copy and paste it into google. The search results are useless most of the time anyway. How do I turn it off?

EDIT: I just found the option in User CP -> Edit Options.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2010

I don't log in most of the time just because of this - if you stay logged out then you don't have this happen. Hah :)
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2009
    West Point
  4. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    Thanks for that General. It was really annoying me.
  5. macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2011
    There's also a good search feature you can use at the top right of the page.
  6. thread starter macrumors 601

Jul 7, 2006
    Yep, users can search now and either find arn's post half way into a thread about a broader topic, or now they can see my thread with the answer in the first post.
  7. macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Oct 21, 2008
    I think they meant you can user the search function if you want to search, and not that you should have searched. ;)

In any event, thanks for the tip. Contextual search was driving me nuts. :)
  8. macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2011
    You don't need to, just read the instructions how to disable the feature.
  9. The General, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

thread starter macrumors 601

Jul 7, 2006
    I'm not going to re-read the FAQ every few weeks at a website I've been visiting daily for the past five years just to see if there might be relevant new information in there to dissuade me from posting the first thread specifically about disabling a new feature I and others don't like.

So thanks for adding another useful link with useless pomp to this thread which I'm sure many people will find useful in the future.

You're welcome, ender land.
    You're welcome, pellets007.
    You're welcome, roadblock.
    You're welcome, Demosthenes X.

Happy to help.