How do I type the Command logo?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GreyFox1221, Mar 28, 2006.

1. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

I know that Shift + Option + K = the apple logo. Is there anyway to type the Command key?

2. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

this question has also intrigued me. i've always copied it when i've needed it from the apple website.

S

3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

The easiest way to find these key combinations is to enable the keyboard viewer using the steps here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25618

Then open the keyboard viewer and hold down the various modifier keys to see the symbols change. To insert a Command symbol you'll need to use the Character Palette.

4. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

?

Control-Q in the Chicago font works in some situations. vBulletin converts it to a question mark though.

put the following, without the spaces I added to keep it from parsing:

& # 8 9 8 4 ;

5. ajmunro16 macrumors newbie

or you can set the font to wingdings and type z

6. phillyt2k macrumors newbie

is there a way to do the actual command logo (⌘), the option logo(⌥), ctrl logo (⌃) and the shift logo (⇧)

Are there keyboard shortcuts for these?

7. phillyt2k macrumors newbie

anybody? I just realised (^) is the 6 key

I have changed them all in word so when i type "cmd" I get (⌘). "optt" for (⌥) and "shiftt" for (⇧)

but is there no way to do it globally across the mac to do it for everything?

8. phoward8020 macrumors newbie

philly:

There are at least two ways to set those shortcuts system-wide:

1. The Free Way

System Preferences > Language & Text > Text Tab > Add new symbol/text substitution

2. The Not-Free Way

Use a paid third-party text substitution program like TextExpander.

Personally, I use TextExpander, but if your text substitution needs are limited to ⌘, ⌥ and ⇧, by all means, just use the method Apple gave you for free!

9. d0vr macrumors 6502a

This also requires you to Control quick in the application you want to use it in, go down to substitutions and enable text replace. It also only seems to work in Apple apps. Anyway to use this free method in applications such as Firefox?

It's still a great tip though!

10. ui-guy, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

ui-guy macrumors newbie

These instructions are based on the Snow Leopard UI, but they should be similar in other versions of OS X.

1. Follow the directions above to enable the Character Viewer.
    2. Open Character Viewer and in the top list, scroll down to 00002300 Miscellaneous Technical.
    3. In the grid below this list, find line 2310. You should see the Enter, Option, Command, Tab and other symbols in that general vicinity.
    4. Make sure your I-beam text cursor is positioned where you want the symbol to go in your document, and then double-click on the symbol in the Character Viewer.

Note The font you are using may not have these symbols. Try using Lucida Sans (the system font up to Lion) or Lucida Grande.

Tip: With the symbol selected, open the "gear" menu in the bottom-left corner of the Viewer and choose Add to Favorites.

You can also then use the Symbol and Text Substitutions table in the Text panel of Language & Text to automate entering those symbols. Once that's done, you can choose

Since I've just done all of this, I'll paste what I've found below:

Hope this helps.

11. Sly Raskal macrumors newbie