How do I uninstall this software completely?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DarrenUK, Jan 19, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

DarrenUK

I am new to Apple Mac computers and have a question.

I recently installed this version of avery design pro for mac....

http://www.avery.co.uk/avery/en_gb/Templates-&-Software/Software/Avery-DesignPro-for-Mac.htm

I wish to uninstall it from my mac, what is the best way to uninstall this particular software without leaving bits of it behind on my computer?

Can I just drag the application to the trash? Or will that leave behind files? Is there a "proper" way to uninstall this software?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Check out this URL to fully delete programs from your Mac.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

DarrenUK

Thanks, I will take a read and see if it will help me out.

4. macrumors 601

Is there an app that does this or something similar, instead of going through all these said steps?

Cheers!

5. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

6. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No there isn't any app that I'm aware of that will do such a thorough job as this manual process.

7. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

AppTrap is what I use. Here's a screen shot of me removing an old app I didn't want any more. (Works in 10.8 btw) Just install, put the app in your login items. Then just toss an application in the trash and it will find all associated files.

http://onnati.net/apptrap/

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 601

Aren't these programs here able to do this (if not remove everything but most)?
    Thanks Kern, after looking at this app also saw AppCleaner that's another option right? Both have great reviews

https://www.google.com/search?q=appcleaner+review&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

9. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Not as far as I know. Many long term experienced Mac users have told me that there does not exist a single App today that removes everything as the manual process does.

If such an App exists, please name it.

Maybe some of the experienced Mac users on this forum can show that Apps such as AppTrap CANNOT remove everything?

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25323/apptrap

10. macrumors 601

No I'm not saying remove EVERYTHING I'm saying at least more than a simple drag and drop to the trash bin. It'll save you some time the manual deletion stuff seems like too much work.

11. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Stop being so lazy :D It only takes 1 minute to completely remove an App and it's associated files.

12. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    The manual deletion process usually takes around 30-45 seconds to complete. It's not too much work and it's the only effective method for removing all app-related files.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

DarrenUK

Well thanks for all the replies on this, I manually deleted/uninstalled as recommended by GGJstudios and his instructions. That done the job!

14. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Good to hear:)

GGJstudios, were you the one who worked out those manual steps to completely remove an App and all it's associuated files? In other words, WHO came up with those steps in the first place and WHO worked that out?

15. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know who came up with the process first, as it's been around for years. I simply documented it in a post. Does it matter?

16. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

It doesn't matter, but I wanted to thank and show respect to the person who initially came out with it. He/She must be clever. I thought it was you.