How do I upload single photos from iPhoto/Aperture to Dropbox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlendedFrog, Jan 23, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

How would I export/upload individual pictures from a iphoto or aperture library to dropbox for photo sharing? I know that with aperture you can setup a facebook or flickr account for photo sharing. Do either of them have a dropbox plugin?

I don't want to put my entire library up there just individual photos

2. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Just drag the picture from within iPhoto into you Dropbox folder?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but iphoto/aperture have a automated way builtin where you can share to facebook and flickr. Without having to log into your account in a web browser and uploading. This is what I am looking to do. I would like to upload directly to my dropbox account from within iphoto or aperture....can it be done?

4. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Well you can't hit an upload button within iPhoto but if do you have dropbox installed on your Mac? I would have thought opening that up in finder and dragging a pic in would be easy enough?

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Sure that is easy enough but that then doubles the amount of space being used on my computer. I now have the picture contained within the iphoto or aperture library plus in my dropbox folder vs just having the picture in the library and uploading it to the cloud. See where I am trying to go with this?

6. macrumors member

No matter the method you use, If it is accessible via dropbox the photo is taking up space somewhere, including your computer if Dropbox is installed. There is no native way to upload to Dropbox from Aperture or iPhoto except to save to, copy to, or drag to.

7. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

8. thread starter macrumors regular

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Here is my new idea. I am now thinking of using Picasa to manage my pictures...since it just references my pictures instead of moving them into a separate library. But my dropbox account has way more storage than a standard picasa account, so I am still looking for a dropbox plugin. So, new question....does picasa have a plugin to allow for a one-step upload to dropbox?

10. macrumors 68000

James Craner

Providing the people that you want to share your photos with have an iOS device running iOS 6 or a Mac running mountain lion - Photo Steam has the ability to select photos and share them to share them to people that you specify. That way the sync is automatic and there is no additional storage overhead.

Only snag is the other party needs an iOS 6 device or is running Mountain Lion.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

I have never been a fan of photostream. Only because up until ios 6 you couldn't control what photos were being streamed. There has to be a way to have a photo management program on a mac and be able to upload a single photo when needed within the program to some place other than facebook or flickr.

12. James Craner, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

macrumors 68000

James Craner

I had a little test with Photostream and it appears to work pretty well, you can even create a public website, so that non Mac Users can be given a link and download the photos that they want. If it is family and friends that you want to share photo's with then Photostream looks like a good option.

To the best of my knowledge there is no plugin that will allow you to upload your photo's to dropbox directly from iPhoto or Aperture. You would need to export to the dropbox folder on your Mac. I presume you don't use a dropbox folder on your Mac and just use the Web service, because even if you moved a photo directly to dropbox, it would sync back to your Mac anyway.

I guess this is why no one has created a plugin to do this, because most people that use Dropbox will use the Mac App and have a dropbox folder, and hence having an automated upload is a little pointless.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

In case anyone is wondering, Adobe Lightroom is able to do this. There is a dropbox plugin that allows for direct upload to the photos folder in your dropbox account. You can create individual folders, sync multiple photos, and even get public links without leaving lightroom. Plus, lightroom references my photos and doesn't create a second library. Exactly what I have been looking for.

14. macrumors newbie

Just getting started with aperture and dropbox.
    How to you just drag photo to dropbox?