How do i use applecare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yojitani, Mar 25, 2007.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

OK. I've been using macs for years now and feel like dummy asking this: how to I use applecare now that my computer is still under warranty but my 90 support is over? Until recently, this had never been an issue. I called apple with a problem and they would replace the part or do whatever needed to be done. However, since sometime last year when I call, 75% of the call is sales BS.

So, first problem, my macbook has an annoying bright white spot in the middle of the screen. I called but couldn't get any help until I purchased apple care. I typically don't buy until near the end of my first year. I don't really want to change that because, aside from major design flaws or production problems (which I assume this is) I don't have any need for an apple rep to guide me politely through fsck. BUT the problems remains: how do I get my screen fixed without buying apple's applecare when I don't want to?

Second problem: my wife's mighty mouse won't scroll down. i've tried everything, it's broken. It came with the computer last October so it should be covered. But again, now I'm afraid to call apple because I don't have a lot of time these days and don't want to mess around with a lobotomized sales rep. pretending to do support. I just want them to send me a mouse and make a decision re: my laptop replace or repair. I don't care too much, I just want it fixed!

Cheers!
    YT

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

First I would take it to an apple store and show them. As I assume it's still under the one-year warrantee. I have better results in person

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Should have mentioned that. The nearest applestore is well over 100 miles away. If I don't have time to prattle on with sales reps, I sure don't have time to drive a few hours to have them look at my computer. Anyway, shouldn't calling applecare be much less of a hassle than it's become? Like I said, I had never had a problem like this until last September. It's like they've all hatched from 'sell applecare pods' (ok bad bad pun:D ).

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you haven't bought the extended applecare, the you are subject to the following.

Up to 90 days after purchase: Free phone support, Free in-store support
    Between 90 days and 1 year: Free in-store support only

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Then you've been lucky. That is literally the warranty on their products; free 90-day phone support, limited one-year warranty on parts (and labor?). So you can call back and hope to speak w/ a rep who'll take pity on you, you can drive the 100 miles, or you can shell out for the extended AppleCare, or pay money for that phone call.

I think those are your only options.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I thought that if you call up after the 90-day period, they take a credit card number in order to speak with you, but if it turns out to be a hardware warranty issue, there's no charge. Otherwise, they bill you $35. Is that not right?

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

sorry....it's all on you to call and get it fixed.

it seems like you KNOW what you have to do to get your warranty repairs taken care of, but you just don't want to do it

8. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

no, not at all and I'm a bit baffled by the responses here. My computers are covered for a year. It is apple's responsibility to repair any defects that appear during that time whether I purchased the extended apple care or not. My computers have hardware problems, but I don't know how to get them taken care of without being forced to buy the extended applecare. It shouldn't require a sympathetic rep to get this taken care of and it shouldn't require me to drive 100 miles either (I simply won't do it). I don't want phone support or any other kind of support, I want apple to repair my computer and replace the mouse. You guys don't seem to see the contradiction here. I have 2 defective items that apple won't look at because they won't talk to me about what the problems are - it's totally insane.

I have called, but I couldn't get very far because on both occasions they wouldn't talk to me unless I purchased applecare.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

They are still covered. And Apple still will repair defects.

But to address even hardware issues, they'd have to go via phone since you won't drive 100 miles (not blaming you there :p). As such you're left with two options like we've already said, shell out for extended AppleCare (so you can call for "free") or pay the $40ish for a phone call, if they determined the problem to be hardware related, you would be refunded the money.

Shrug.

It's up to you.

10. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I must have missed that $40 phone call thing you mentioned first time. hmm.. That wasn't presented as an option when I called. I'll mention it when i call again. How a bright spot in the middle of the screen could be anything but hardware, i don't know... anyway, thanks for restating that!!!

11. matttrick macrumors 6502

and this is the apple so many people love to put up on a pedestal. one year support but it costs you money to call for it unless they decide it was truly a covered problem. so if its not that problem you owe them $40 for what now? talking to you for 10 mins? total ripoff.

12. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Hmm. Apple's policy seems to put the burden of diagnosing the problem onto the user - if you get it wrong, you get charged $40. Even the most experienced user risks getting caught out by an esoteric software problem.

I'd be interested to know if they take the same hard line here in the UK - because I know of no other manufacturer that devalues its included warranty in this way.