How do I use the new MS Bluetooth mouse with my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by marton, Nov 13, 2002.

1. marton macrumors newbie

Does anybody know how I can use the new "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth" from Microsoft with OS X 10.2.2?

The OS detect the bluetooth mouse, but it requies a passkey when I want to pair the mouse with the mac. Does anyone know the passkey?

Damn, it must work somehow!

/M

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

System Requirements don't actually mention any compatibility with Mac OS X, where as other MS Mice (like the IntelliMouse Explorer) do specifically say what Mac OS's they will work with; I think you've just bought yourself a mouse you can't even use!

3. rjrufo macrumors regular

Passkey? Sounds like another MicroSucks gimmic... Every peice of software that MicroSucks produces has some sort of Passkey or Product Key that you need to enter before you use it. I guess they are doing the same thing for their hardware as well. Do you still have the package that the mouse came in? There might be a label on it somewhere with the passkey.

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Ahh... That new MS IntelliMouse for Bluetooth is a true work of art. I have wanted one since I first saw it on their site. Even if it is MS. I have the original IntelliMouse Explorer, and it is the best mouse I have ever used. Making it wireless would only make it better. According to the requirements, it does not support the Mac. When does it ask for a Passkey? It should be listed on the manual... This is probably because if there were other computers in the room with Bluetooth wireless, you only want the mouse controlling the one you intend to use it for.

5. TheT macrumors 6502

Did you actually get the mouse to work? I'm getting a new cell phone in a couple of weeks, and instead of buying just a Bluetooth adapter, I thought why not buy the M$ mouse for a couple of buck s more right away... I did some research and read something about M$ using their own, not the official Bluetooth, standard, therefore not supporting anything but WinXP. Does anyone have any information on whether the best mouse out there works with MacOS X or not...?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not Supported by MS

I asked the MS people at the recent Apple Expo in London about this mouse and the Mac platform. Their first response was "Do we make a bluetooth mouse?" I said that yes they did, it was on their website. They said that unless the website said it was Mac compatible (it doesn't) then it wasn't, although it might be developed in future :( I really want a bluetooth mouse too.

7. TheT macrumors 6502

Yeah, but I just read that Win users had that passkey problem too... somebody suggested to try 0000...
    The proble might be that you're trying to use a third party dongle, like the d-link one, with the M$ mouse... does the M$ bluetooth adapter work at all with a mac? I just don't wanna spent 100 bucks (yes, that's the price here in europe) for a mouse that doesn't work with my mac.
    Many things aren't supported by M$, because they don't wanna get blamed if something doesn't work... which doesn't mean it couldn't work with a mac at all... it's just M$ trying to establish their own standards (ActiveSync i read) and working with other companies together... :(

8. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Any luck getting the mouse to work???

i was considering getting that mouse also.

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I'm not going to say 100% that it isn't possible to get it working. I bought one and tried a lot of things to get it to work. Apple's Bluetooth software detects it being in range and identifies it as Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer, but says "Service Unknown". Basicially the Mac knows it exists but doesn't know what it does. The question is whether or not Apple's Bluetooth software actually supports input devices presently. I know it doesn't support printers. Apple needs to get on the ball.

10. TheT macrumors 6502

Did you use Microsoft's or a third-party dongle?

... I'm sure it's M$'s fault, not Apple's... Apple does support standards, and I never heard anyopne complaining about that Logitech bluetooth presenter...
    I guess we'll just have to wait til Apple shows us those bluetooth keyboards and mice in january :D

11. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I thought the product was supposed to present the passkey, so that the computer could store the number. That way, when ever It came in range, only that computer could use it.

12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I'm sure the MS Setup Wizard does all that in the background so you don't even know it, or else it tells you the key on screen. I called MS support but got cut off becaus ethey were closing so I just took the mouse back to BestBuy the next day. Still, it is one of the sweetest mice to hold in your hand. Now, I'm ordering on of the Logitech mx700 wireless mice.