Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afro1989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Hey guys, I have a 19" LG L1920P monitor and was wondering why nothing happens at all when I plug a USB device into either of the ports in the back of the monitor. Do I need to configure something from system prefs? I'm confused. Thanks!

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
If USB downlink is in it should be plug and play. I don't know that monitor and if it doesn't have USB downlink, I don't see how anything plugged in would work.

Afro1989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I don't see why it would have two USB ports if they're useless. I'm stumped! Anyone else?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
OK...dumb question. You have connected the upstream USB port on the monitor to a USB port on your computer, right?

Afro1989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Why would I connect a USB port to another USB port? Sorry, I'm confused.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Afro1989 said:

normally your monitor will come with a USB cord so that the computer will recognize the other USB ports. Otherwise the USB ports on the monitor will be useless

one end should be your basic USB end that plugs into the computer and the other side will be more square like in shape

XNine

macrumors 68040
Afro1989 said:

Because your monitor is stupid, it doesn't know what to do with USB, it needs the computer to tell it what to do.

Take a look at your monitor's cable that goes to the computer to display video. Are there usb plugs on the end too? If so, plug them (or it) into your computer, and now your monitor has two powered USB ports to interact with devices and hubs.

Afro1989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Thanks so much for clearing that up! It seems kind of pointless having two USB ports on the monitor if I am going to have to use one up and only have one USB port open. :confused:

Reactions: larryleveen

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Afro1989 said:
Thanks so much for clearing that up! It seems kind of pointless having two USB ports on the monitor if I am going to have to use one up and only have one USB port open. :confused:

To clarify, you will still have two available USB ports on the monitor. You will be using up one USB port on your computer.

Check out page A18 of the manual (PDF).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
exact monitor that my sister has...
it should have came with a USB cable, the square ended plug is for the port on the back of the monitor, once that is connected to one of the ports on your computer you technically gain one USB port because you'll have two on the monitor and one on your mac still no?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Afro1989 said:

Its just a USB hub on the monitor. As with any hub, you lose one port. Like a 4 port hub really only gets you 3 ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.