How do I use VLC to play .AVIs in Powerpoint?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calqlatedcandor, Jun 8, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I have several .AVIs on my mac. Some of them will play with quicktime, some of them won't, so I've downloaded VLC to play them all.

The problem is that I need to embed these videos into powerpoint (2008 for mac). The videos that work with quicktime will work in powerpoint, but the others won't. I've heard that windows users can install a VideoLan-VLC plugin to play videos in powerpoint, but I can't figure out how to do this on a mac.

Anyone know how to do this or have some other suggestions?

2. macrumors 65832

AppleNewton

the best i could suggest is use isquint to convert them to mp4. and perhaps instead of downloading or converting any .avi files get mp4 or m4v

3. macrumors G4

QuickTime is the set of MacOS X frameworks for time-based media. VLC is a media player. Office 2008, like most MacOS X applications, is QuickTime-compatible. With certain exceptions, virtually any media type for which you have a compatible codec can be handled by most QuickTime-compatible applications including Office 2008. VLC cannot add functionality to other applications.

It sounds like you don't have the free Perian codec suite installed. If this is the case, then you should download and install it.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

This was very helpful. Thanks so much!

5. macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have Perian and it is not helping. Any other suggestions?

6. macrumors G4

You know that Perian works if it is installed. This means that something is missing from your setup that prevents Quicktime from handling media in your PowerPoint presentations. There is no way to diagnose what might be missing until you give some information about your setup.

7. macrumors newbie

What information would be useful? (Sorry, I'm not sure).
    I am using OSX 10.6.8 and Quicktime 10.0 (128). I am trying to use AVI's created by Paraview. They play in VLC and in some video editing software (e.g. iMove, Xilisoft video converter) but not in Quicktime or Powerpoint. Other video formats play in Quicktime/Powerpoint and if I convert to another format then they play in Quicktime/Powerpoint (even converting to a differently encoded AVI) (Video converters that I have make me change the video aspect ratio hence I do not like to do that and don't want to have to every time).
    The same videos used to work fine in Quicktime/Powerpoint. I am unsure what has changed since they worked (I might have updated Quicktime or my DIVX codecs or something).

8. macrumors newbie

play AVI in powerpoint

was there ever a solution to this issue? I am using OS 10.7.4 and cannot embed avi files into Powerpoint 2008 presentations. I can play these same files in VLC. Perian was installed and does not help.

9. macrumors G4

Do your .avi video files play in the QuickTime Player?

10. macrumors newbie

.avi files on Mac

no, I cannot play .avi files in quicktime either. I must convert them to another format to play them either in quicktime or in Powerpoint. I used to have the ability to play .avi files both in QT and in PP but somehow this feature got lost. I am thinking of downgrading to an earlier version of OS X:confused:

11. macrumors G4

What does VLC indicate for the formats of the audio and video tracks of your .avi files?

12. macrumors newbie

VLC info

it says:

Type Video
    Codec Microsoft video 1 (CRAM)
    Resolution 1264 x 868
    Frame rate 30
    Decoded format 15 bits RGB