How do I view chinese characters on OS 10.2?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by heljy, Dec 21, 2002.

1. heljy macrumors member

Dec 19, 2002
    Madison, WI
    I got some MP3 files that are in chinese(file names and ID Tags), is there anyway that I can view them?

If so what do I do or use?

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    You should be able to view them already, but I guess you can't... so try this. Go to System Preferences>International and under Languages drag the Chinese one to the very top, and then log out and log back in. Everything will be in Chinese, and you should be able to read the Chinese characters. To go back to English just go back and drag English to the top of the list and log out log in.

Hope that helps.

3. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Like irmongoose said OS X natively supports any major languages without installing any additional software. I use Japanese and English all the time and I've seen Chinese and Korean characters properly displayed.

But here's the catch:

Many apps developed in Roman language countries has fixed English fonts assigned to display characters. If this is the case with your software, there's not much you can do to display non-Roman characters. If your app uses system fonts to diplay characters you usually have no problem displaying non-English fonts.

If that software is OS 9 capable, you can use shareware like Font Patchin' to force any application to use user specified fonts. I don't think there are any software that can replace any application fonts on OS X yet.

When you are on Classic environment (OS 9) you need to have a specific language OS and/or Apple's Language kits.

Too many ignorant software developers don't realize that there are many guys wanting to use 2-byte characters like Japanese within English-menu-ed apps. They should stop using fixed application fonts unless it's absolutely necessary and make them capable of handling 2-byte characters, expecially on a multi-lingual OS like OS X. They don't need to localize the whole app and manuals. What we need is an English software with 2-byte handling ability! FastTrack Schedule has recently updated theirs to support non-Roman characters, which I'm very happy about. The next one up on my wish list is SplashData's SplashWallet suite. Their Palm apps work fine, but the Mac OS X apps eats up synced Japanese characters data! Oh and the server software PHP 4 supports native multi-language functions. Yes!!!

Multi-language apps rules!

Here's a very very frustrated guy in Tokyo...
    I've been in pain since my OS 6.0.2 days about this.
  4. heljy thread starter macrumors member

Dec 19, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Yes, I though I should be able to view them too, since I am able to view other files that have japanese titles.

irmongoose: Even when I change the language from System Preferences, I am not able to view the chinese characters properly.
  5. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Make sure that you have Chinese fonts installed. The 10.2 installer CD might not copy them to your system folder as default. Since you can view Japanese fonts, it could be a simple matter as this.
  6. heljy thread starter macrumors member

Dec 19, 2002
    Madison, WI
    How can I check if I got the chinese fonts installed?

If I dont, how can I install it from the CD?
  7. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Well, I don't have the CD on me right now.
    The installer might have installation options available for Chinese software.

I'm not sure which ones are Chinese fonts on my system folder.
    But I think two files that has .ttf extension and copyright holder info of "Changzhou SinoType Technology" (in the get info window)

Go to your HD > System > Library > Fonts folder.
  8. heljy thread starter macrumors member

Dec 19, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Yep, I got them.

In fact, I can see the file names of those files in chinese!

Maybe, its not the OS but my mp3 files that are incompatible? In windows, I need a special program(NJ Star) to be able to view them....

Could that be a problem?
  9. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Uh, your MP3 player and files have started to stink!

- I'm not a Chinese language expert, but also make sure that you have tried Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese both.
  10. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Another possibility is the character encoding. I'm not sure about Chinese ones, but in Japanese there are 3 different encodings. If these MP3 files were brought in from another very different OS, encoding problem could be it.

If that NJ star thingy for converting encodings, then that's it. Not familiar with Win software.
  11. heljy thread starter macrumors member

Dec 19, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Hmm...I guess that would be the problem.

Well, thanks for being helpful anyway! :)