How Do I View Files On My Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMas70, Dec 5, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2012
    I've been searching the web before posting and I'm sure some of you are probably smiling because it's a simple process but I'm lost right now.

How do I view the files on my hard drive? On a PC, I use Windows Explorer. That shows Documents, Pictures, Music, any external devices like a camera, hard drives ect...

I'm using a Seagate GoFlex Pro to move some pictures/files from my PC to the Mac. I just can't find how to see everything so I can drag the files to the appropriate location on the Mac.

And if there is a guide that shows "if you do this on a Mac, it's like doing this on a PC", that would be great!

2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    The Mac equivalent of Windows Explorer is Finder. There is an icon for it located on the left end of your Dock (at the bottom of your screen).

This may be useful, especially the Mac 101 and Switch 101 links in the first section of the following:

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2012

Thank you! I just put my head down and shook it! :) I've seen that icon a hundred times but didn't think it was used for that. And thank you for the other suggestion too!
  4. macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2011
    Take a look at David Pogue's "Missing Manual: Switching To The Mac" for your specific Mac operating system. It does an excellent job of explaining the differences between Windows and the Mac OS, as well as lots of information about how to use a Mac. It can be very helpful if you want to migrate from Windows to Macs and you need help moving data from your PC to a Mac.
  5. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    I used this when bought a Mac and it was extremely helpful getting the terms straight.