Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
How do I VPN in to my Office Windows Network using my Powerbook?

I can connect to the server, but I cant see the network (where are my files?)

Can you connect on a Mac? Can you "map a network drive" ?

- Doc

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
You will probablly need to get your network administrator to help with this. In your Applications folder you should have an app called Internet Connect. There is a VPN tab that allows you to set it up. That's where you need the network people to provide the info.

You can also try Windows Remote Desktop for Mac. This is what I use to login and take control of my PC. If you need something more robust, try Timbuktu from Netopia.

Hope this helps.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
D0ct0rteeth said:
How do I VPN in to my Office Windows Network using my Powerbook?

I can connect to the server, but I cant see the network (where are my files?)

Can you connect on a Mac? Can you "map a network drive" ?

- Doc
You can do it, if they have it setup already, by using a VPN client software. You will need to ask your administrator for which one you use, and if its Cisco VPN, then there is a great client for the Mac that I use to get into my work computers. The only thing, you are not tied to Active Directory like a Windows PC would be, so browsing the network produces nothing (you can attach to AD, but since this is your home computer, I suggest not doing it). But if you know the IP address of the server, you can use the finder and click Go in the menu bar across the top, and choose Connect to Server from the drop down menu. Put the IP in, then you should communicate with the server. I use Remote Desktop, and I have to use IP address instead of the names of the computers like I do when I'm using my PC at work. Go see your Admin, and he should tell you all the information you would need to know to connect through the VPN. Plus he would have to allow your user name to connect from a remote location, because that is not on by default.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
no success either by internet connect or "connect to server" from the "go menu"

I can connect to the server via "internet connect" but it just says "connected to XX.XX.XX.XX, and connect time XX.XX.XX"

This is the info that works on PPTP

serveraddress: corp.companyname.com
accountname: username
password: password

However I cant browse to see the files. We do have a cisco firewall (i blieve a pics 550) however all the PC guys just go right thru windows and dont use a Cisco client.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.