How do I wipe my iPhone before I sell it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gsfgf, Aug 30, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Title says it all, I just want to completely erase all the data off my phone before I sell it. I don't need people reading my texts and emails.

2. macrumors regular

dragonmantek

restore. and don't restore from backup, just restore, and take out your sim card.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Then should I buy another SIM card and put it in?

4. macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

No, do a secure erase. "Settings, Reset, Erase all content and settings". Takes about an hour. Also remove the SIM when you're done. Just Sell it without the SIM; the buyer can get new one, or in many cases, will be using one they already have. I sold both of my iPhones without it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=506018&highlight=secure+erase+iphone

5. macrumors 6502

You don't need to sell it with a SIM card. The buyer can get that from their carrier or use the SIM card they have (assuming it is compatible).

6. macrumors regular

dragonmantek

it's not illegal, it voids the warranty, buuuut.

you could jailbreak it for the person and sell it for more.

7. macrumors member

ivan123

with a damp lint free cloth:)

8. macrumors newbie

do I HAVE to restore/wipe before selling?

I deleted all contacts, and all call & SMS history, and deleted Safari history, cookies, and cache. Do I still have to restore/wipe? I'd do it to be sure, but it's unlocked, and I can't get a hold of the guy who unlocked it... I worry tho' as my CL ad for "iPhone" got me scammers galore! Ship it here, ship it there, it's for my sister's friend's only brother's sister whose brother's only friend died in a plane crash... And even local buyers are dying to buy ASAP, cash, no haggling... what are they so hot? Can they get into my stuff after I deleted?!