How do I...?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jermsmingy, May 1, 2002.

1. jermsmingy macrumors regular

Hey guys I am converting my cassettes to mp3's and I am using the sound input on an old blueberry iMac dv. I have a new imac but it does not have a sound input. I was wondering if there was a usb or better yet firewire conncector that would allow me to record my cassettes at a high speed and what software could I use to do this. I would like to stay around $100 -$200. Thanks for all your help.

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i wouldn't worry about any extra usb or firewire devices for transfering the cassettes into the imac because of the limited sound quality of the cassettes. your easiest transfer will only require an adapter to convert your cassette player's outputs( most likely a pair of rca plugs) to the stereo imac input which i think is an 1/8" stereo jack. radio shack or fry's will have that stuff.

i'd just make sure the tape machine's heads are clean and the proper settings for bias, dbx or dolby are matched to the cassette type-and you're ready to go. i'm not sure what you mean by recording at a high speed-you can't speed a cassette up without raising the pitch ( chipmunks, anyone?)-its all done real time which is a drag ....

hope this helps

3. jermsmingy thread starter macrumors regular

I know that

I know that. I have that adapter. I would prefer to do this on my new imac though, because i convert to mp3 faster, but my new imac has no sound input.

Second, when I record a cassette on to another cassette. I can copy like 2 as fast. High-speed dubbing. I was wondering if there is any program that can do that.