How do I?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by glosterseagul, Oct 20, 2004.

1. glosterseagul macrumors regular

...import contact details from Entourage to into Address Book?

I have Excell, Filemaker Pro 7, Entourage, Names.

Import options from Address Book : Vcards and LDIF
    Export from entourage....txt! (then not all of them!)

2. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I want to say that you can't do it...I seem to recall reading that somewhere when I was setting up Entourage for my dad at his office (I got him to switch :D -- but he needed Exchange compatibility being the only Mac on a Windows network)... Anyway, I seem to recall that you can't do that. I could be wrong--try exporting from Entourage as a txt and importing that txt as an LDIF. I may be (read: probably am) wrong, but I seem to recall that an LDIF is the "format" the text is arranged. I'm stupid :p

3. Gee macrumors 65816

It's a Mac - just drag and drop!

Serious, just tried dragging a contact out of entourage and dropping it into Address book. Seems to work, and put stuff in the right fields. Neat, no?

4. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Wow... good thinking!

You're smarter than me... I feel stupid :p ;)

5. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

DOUBLE WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been messing around with Excell Filemaker on and off for months....then all I have to do is Drag and drop! Awesome!
    Thank you! :D

....wot 'bout from address to filemaker and back?

6. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Drag and drop didn't work address to filemaker!:rolleyes:

Where is the address data? :confused:

7. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

This Drag and drop was really clever. I just don't see why this simple option was not in the "help" option of importing. Great all the same!

Ok my next question was Where is the "data file" for my contacts in 'Address'?

Secondly how can I export the names from address into Filemaker7 - and back again? :confused:

8. Gee macrumors 65816

OK, getting addresses into filemaker is a little less straighforward. Filemaker doesn't support vcards, which is the only export option in address book, so I think you basically have two choices - 1. rekey all your addresses, or 2. write some kind of filemaker script that will convert the vcard data into text and put into correct fields. Doing a quick search on google throughs up a few people that have had the same problem, and there's some companies that have commercial solution (i.e. you can buy their script, like here).

As to where the data actually resides, I don't know, sorry!

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

A quick search on Macupdate.com shows a couple of scripts for importing address book info into Filemaker, here's an example of a free one. Hope it helps :)

10. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

purchased address exchange .... i think I'll try tomorrow when I'm more awake

Always best to read.....Address exchange not for file maker yet!! Double doh!

I'll try your option GEE, Thanks for your help.