How do Mac games compare to console games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MemphisSoulStew, Nov 26, 2004.

1. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

May 10, 2004
    My daughter wants a Xbox for Xmas and I've been looking at some games for myself, so I was wondering how similar the various WW2 shooters are compared to the Mac versions. I've played Call of Duty and the various Medal of Honor titles on my Mac, but are the console versions much different? Which has the better graphics, smoother play etc. I really like the Mac versions, but would anyone recommend console versions. CoD: Finest Hour looks interesting, as does MoH:Rising Sun and the upcoming MoH: Dogs of War, plus the Vietnam shooter Men of Valor which is already out on the Xbox, but has a projected Mac release date of Feb '05.

If I'm used to Mac gameplay would it be worth buying these Xbox titles?
  2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Xbox if a fine choice for gaming. MoH: AA and CoD are nice, but MoH: Rising Sun is awsome and CoD: Finest hour looks great. I think you would be fine switching to Xbox. You may need to get used to the controler but it's a good idea.
  3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    An xbox is the best console for FPS's. If you are used to a keyboard and mouse, go to and buy the keyboard and mouse adapter. It's awesome! If you do get an xbox, though, xbox live is a must.
  4. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    no 15-dollar-a-month subscription is a "must."

to answer the original question, as long as you don't mind the clarity and resolution limitations of a TV screen, and as long as you don't mind having to buy a separate keyboard and mouse for the xbox (because FPS games are, contrary to some console gamer's assertations, a waste of time with a console controller), then go for it.

it will play more smoothly than your mac, probably, because games seem to have a tough time on the Mac for the most part, and consoles are all running the exact same hardware, so it will work just fine every time.

The worst part of console FPS games to me, though, is that, at least on xbox, they require you to either have multiple people playing on a split-screen, or they make you drag another tv and console into the room and link them, OR, worst of all, they make you pay a 15-dollar-a-month subscription on top of the broadband internet bill...and you have to buy the games.

deathmatch on split screen hasn't been "cool" or "acceptable" since (or before) Golden Eye on the SNES...
  5. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I think pretty much every WW2 shooter you'll be looking at has a different story from the Mac version's counterparts. They've taken the same franchises but have given them different missions, stories, etc. It's not always a bad thing though.

I'd suggest reading some reviews. and IGN are good sources. Then there's that gives you a ton of resources for reviews. Some of these WW2 shooters that arrived to consoles were mediocre at best, others were comparable to their computer counterparts.

Graphics will be... Well, the games for consoles are developed with one platform in mind. So the game is optimized, and the hardware is in good shape. However, games often have lower texture qualities, faked special effects, etc. But, since the resolution is so low, you can't tell and since it's made with a T.V. in mind, there will be the illusion that the game looks good. Often the games will be locked at either 30 or 60 FPS so things should feel fluid. But, gameplay is what matters more.

As for a TV resolution, it ain't the best. If you're on an old CRT T.V., you may be surprised by how blurry some games are because of how much developers have tried to back some much graphics in such a small space. Ever since the N64/PSX/Saturn days, the graphics have improved, but the T.V. quality has not improved with it. Now, if you've got an HDTV, buy the proper connectors for that X-Box and enjoy the visuals to the fullest at the higher resolution.

But, if you do have a CRT TV, don't be completely deterred. It's not miserable, but I will recommend sitting back as far as you can or look into purchasing a small CRT TV. Yeah, I know, a little more money spent, but if you look at the in-store displays, they use fairly small TV's, but the quality looks fine since you're fairly close up, and the pixels are tighter together. And CRT TV's are dirt cheap these days. But, sitting far back will give you the same illusion of sharpness.

Now a few questions for you...
    - How old is your daughter and why does she want an X-Box?
    I wouldn't expect most girls wanting an X-Box, if any console at all.
    - Why did this X-Box all of a sudden turn into daddy's present? ;)
  6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    $50 bucks a year comes out to be a little over 4 dollars per month. Xbox live is well worth it. If he is used to online play, he is sure to like xbox live. Of course you don't HAVE TO HAVE IT, but it is a great addition. I wouldn't play my xbox without it.
  7. rccola70 macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2004
    Surprisingly, Call of Duty: Finest Hour got a 6.7 from gamespot...

But gaming on computer and consoles are very different. Especially on FPS because on computer, you can be more accurate with mouse and keyboard. While the controller on Xbox isn't bad, keyboard and mouse combo is just better.

And if you are getting Xbox live, you should use the 2 months free that comes with Halo 2 or buy the $50 kit that comes with a headset.
  8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    You can get it even cheaper than that too. I paid $60 shipped for a year of XBL, the commmunicator, and a game. Definately a must have for Halo 2.
  9. MemphisSoulStew thread starter macrumors regular

May 10, 2004
    Thanks for the replies, especially applekid's - that was exactly what I wanted to know. Good point about using a LCD TV too - I hadn't considered that.

She's 12, and she wants to play Lemony Snicket, Urbz, the various Harry Potter titles, The Incredibles, and there were a couple of others in the local game shop that interested her. We looked at all of the consoles, and I asked my friends kids and my nephew what they'd recommend and the X-Box won out. Plus she thought the crystal X-Box was the best looking (vitally important to a 12-year old girl :rolleyes: )

And if it's in the house I may as well get some use out of it as well ... :eek:
  10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    CoD Finest Hour only got a 6.7? Maybe I should just get CoD UO

On the topic of Xbox Live: It's pricey but porbaly worth it. First of all you will get less lag and an overall smoother gameplay experiance. Plus, multiplayer is becoming a very important part of gameing. That is why the cube is falling behind. Hardly anyonline play for it :(
  11. PhantomVI macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2004
    Just to warn you, I played CoD: Finest Hour this weekend and was profoundly disappointed. In no way does it compare to the original. Such a let-down, seeing as how the original is one of my favorite games...
    MoH: Rising Sun fares quite a bit better. It definitely starts off with a bang!
  12. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    A guide to having fun:

Required items:
    • Microsoft Xbox
    • Ethernet Cable
    • Router/Switch
    • High-Speed Connection hooked to the router
    • Xbox LIVE subscription
    • Halo 2

Preparing to have fun:
    1. Set up the Xbox acording to the instuctions
    2. Run an ethernet cable from the Xbox to the router
    3. Make sure your High-Speed Internet works
    4. Put Halo 2 in the Xbox
    5. In Halo 2, select Xbox LIVE to install the LIVE software
    6. Complete sign up for Xbox LIVE
    7. Go to the toilet
    8. Make sure you aren't hungry
    9. Get a big drink. Place it next to the place you are playing.
    10. Brace Yourself
    11. Launch Halo 2

Having Fun:
    PLAY HALO 2.

Do not let anyone under 15 see it being played. It is violent. Where did I put my handgun...
  13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    It sure does. Of course, you get to the last level, and it takes two head shots with a sniper rifle to kill the enemies. And that's on Easy! :eek:
  14. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    I am fairly new to the Mac (going on a year and a half since 'switching) and I just bought an XBOX. THis is my ery first console. I was profoundly disappointed in Mac gaming. Always seemed that you had to get a patch in order to get really good game playing. The XBOX is great. And playing Halo online is a serious kick. Gotta get me a keyboard/mouse adaptor though because I am getting seriously plastered out there. :eek:
    I really don't think that you will be disappointed if you get the XBOX.
    One thing to consider is that you can rent the game before you buy it. That way you can see if its really worth it. Try that with a computer game. (legally).
  15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Nice point, after using a pc for a couple of months iam starting to think that the X-box along with the Mac is the way to go. My PC is great for games but i find myself missing OSX and almost everything that doesnt make it to Mac will make it to X-box.
  16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I have the mac and xbox combination, and it's decent. I find myself wanting a PC for CS: Source, Battlefield, and CoD. Since you want an xbox, and I want a PC, we should just trade. An xbox for an aurora sounds like an even trade...
  17. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    The Xbox plus Mac combo seems to be popular. Hopefully by Christmas I will have that combo. Right now Xbox is the golden system. StarWars: Battlefront, Halo + Halo 2, GTA. That's a nice selction. while I like to use my mac for games like CoD and the famous "Age series" (AoM, AOE II, AoE). In my opinion it's a nice little selection.
  18. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm a mac xbox man myself and couldnt be happier. I would love to get a gaming PC for those really brand new and top of the line games like doom 3, half life 2 and countersticke source. But Doom 3 is already on its way to the xbox and i have faith that half life 2 and cs source are going to be making an appearance at some point as well, so patience is definately a virtue for anyone with a mac.
  19. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Denver, CO
    HL2 is out on the PS2. i dont think there are any plans for it to be released on xbox
  20. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY

Um can you link me to prove that i cant find that fact anywhere. Im pretty sure hald life 2 is only for pc.
  21. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    Half-Life 1 is on the PS2. NOT Half-Life 2.

Anyway, the PS2, being the piece of s*** that it is, couldn't handle Half-Life 2 anyway. The Xbox could do it at a few frames per second. Have you SEEN how good Half-Life 2 looks?

Then again, Halo 2's graphics are a miracle. The Xbox only has a 733Mhz processor! It's slower than my iBook!
  22. armandocerna macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2004
    Chico, CA
    Yeah, but all it has to do with that processor is play games
  23. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    You can turn the controller sensitivity up so you can turn around faster etc... but it's still not the same as a mouse/kb combo... i agree
  24. samonsuke macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2004
    i have to agree with most people here, there is quite a difference between using a mouse & keyboard, and a controller. It can affect how you play (mainly with FPS games). But if you do get an xbox, you really should get xbox live with it (as long as your router is compatable with it), it does cost money unlike the PS2 version, but from what i have heard its worth it.
  25. jadam macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2002
    Umm if your buying this for your 12 year old daughter, I would definetly suggest getting a gamecube instead. Not to mention, Halo2, CoD, and MoH, aren't games I would really want a 12 year old playing to begin with. A Gamecube would be a MUCH MUCH wiser choice for a 12 year old.