How do macs compare to normal pc

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by akanathan, Oct 11, 2005.

1. akanathan macrumors newbie

I am into editing video and photos and I was thinkng of getting a mac but I dont know much about them. Should I look at the specs on a mac as if it were a normal pc or are there differences? It seems to be way more expensive for macs that have specs that arent that good. Is it just because they are expensive?

2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Comparing a Mac to a PC just by viewing the specs isn't a fair deal. You really have to use a Mac for yourself and see if you like it. As far as video editing and photo management goes, the Mac is the mainstream computer for these uses, including graphic design. Every Mac comes installed with iLife '05, Apple's media suite. You get iMovie (video editing, but nothing compared to Final Cut Pro which is the grand daddy), iPhoto (photo management software, as well as photo-editing), iTunes (I'm sure you know what this is), iDVD (DVD creating software; very awesome and fun to show your family and friends) and finally GarageBand (music creation software; tons of people love this). I officially sound like a commercial, so you might as well go here: http://www.apple.com/ilife/

Any other questions, just ask! :D

3. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Apple's computers use processors from different manufacturers than mainstream PCs so they are, as mentioned, difficult to compare.

One very important thing is that OS X is designed specifically for Apple's hardware (and vice versa) by people with intimate knowledge of both.

4. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Have a look on these forums - people here tend to be biased because of the nature of the site, but there are some pretty balanced discussions.

Best thing to do would be to go to an Apple shop and try one out.

Give yourself at least an hour, because there are some small differences in the way the interface works that some people find irritating for the first few minutes. Take some of your unprocessed photos and videos on a cd, and see what you think.

If you are using it for personal photos & videos, then the iLife s/w is a very good starting point - very well integrated.

As in the Windows world there are also some very good 3rd party products - I use Photoshop Elements 3, Comiclife, disclabel, rapidweaver, among other stuff. They all tend to be very well integrated with Apple's iLife programs, which makes life very easy.

Good luck.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

OS X + Apple Software = way way way more than makes up for any price difference.

6. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

It is rather obvious that when such question were posted here, you will get pro-Mac responses.

With iLife '05 (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes & GarageBand) designed and integrated as one complete media suite by the same great team, you wouldn't believe its synergy of use. I wouldn't recommend PC over Mac for sure. Seeing is believing. ;)

7. andy89 macrumors 6502

You cant compare pcs and macs.

Macs are in a class of there own!

8. akanathan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the replies. I shall go to an apple shop and look at them for myself.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

A few things.

GHz is a measurement of one billion clock cycles per second. How much work is done per clock cycle? Depends on the type of processor.

You can be sure, for example, that every Pentium 4 does the same amount of calculations per clock cycle as every other Pentium 4. So GHz is fine when comparing two Pentium 4's. But when comparing a Pentium 4 to an Athlon 64, or a Pentium 4 to a G5 in a Mac, it's almost useless.

How do you get real performance?

It depends on:

1) The GHz (clock speed).
    2) The work done per clock cycle (depends on the type of processor)
    3) The bus speed
    4) The size of the cache
    5) The speed of the RAM
    6) The amount of RAM
    7) How well the software is written

and many other factors.

Frankly, it's almost impossible to compare a Mac to a PC.

The PowerPC processors in Macs have a lower clock speed, do more work per clock cycle, have a higher bus speed, and the OS is much better optimized because it only needs to run on Apple hardware. So just try the machine and see how it feels.

10. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

lol there aint no comparison to that windows crap...mac osx is def. the best...

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good idea, but you might want to drop the "normal PC" thing before you get there. ;)