How do The 17" And 20" Compare?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jman888, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Jman888 macrumors regular

I am planning (And currently Saving For) A iMac. My school Just Got rid of all (Well some and gave away the old ones (I wish i was at school that day :( )
    But i had some time with the 17" 1200$ Model 1gb Ram. And it was about the fastest computor i have used Anytime Recently

So i (Having wanted a Mac for a while now. And also being in the market for a New pc to replace My celeron W 512 Ram and a CRT.) I decided i should Just go with a Imac instead of a XPS

So now my question is. On Stuff Like WoW how would Each of them Stack Up?
    My configs Would Be.

If i got a 17"
    2.0GHZ core2 Duo
    2 Gigs OF Ram
    Apple Wireless Mouse (How does it connect Wireless Usb with dongle (My keboard has that) Wifi? Bluetooth?
    250GB
    $1500
    + Applecare 179 (Might wait on that)

If i got 20"
    2.16GHZ core2 Duo
    2 Gigs of ram
    Apple Wireless Mouse
    250/500Gb HD (Not sure)
    256MB Vram.

$1800 - $2000 (Depending On HD)

So how would Each of them Stack up on WoW and other Mac Games?
    Because Acctually my main requirement for a new Pc was it to be able to play WoW better than my current Pc. (Integrated GPX)
    Pretty sure a mac Can :)

2. stagecustom macrumors regular

just get w.e mac you want, install boot camp and it will fly for XP gaming. Also for the usb dongle question, YOU have to plug into the USB port, its not bluetooth, well most aren't (you would know if you had purchased a bluetooth set)
    Hope that helps.:)

3. Jman888 thread starter macrumors regular

I figured that. But i just want to know. What does it look like? Would i be worth $60? Or would it be better to get the other.
    Wait. [​IMG]
    NVM. I guess it is bluetooth. WTH is bluetooth? I heard it lets things connect wirelessly..
    But what framerates should i expect. I think i might go with the 20" Because the extra screen real estate could be nice.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Think of BT as a step up from Infrared (in a way), it's wireless and can operate without a line of sight to the computer. I advise not to buy the BT keyboard/mouse though. My experiences with both so far have been lacklustre.

The 17" is quite powerful, I'm currently playing through Quake 4 at a resolution nearest to the iMacs native one. High quality textures etc, no AA and it looks and plays stunning.

5. Jman888 thread starter macrumors regular

Well That's Nice To hear. Whats wrong with The mouse? It seems like a good Idea(Only have 1 Wire (Power Plug)) And that alone would make me want it. Also what is you mac set up as and would The Extra VRam be worth it? Although i really like the 20" Sise (Way bigger than my CRT..)

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Do NOT buy the mighty mouse for gaming. You can't right and left click simultaneously and you need to lift your finger from the left button to right click.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The Mighty Mouse is okay for non-gamers, but if you're looking to do serious gaming, get a third-party mouse.

8. Jman888 thread starter macrumors regular

Well apple only Offers Mighty Mice. I already have a Mouse And a Usb one and i could always buy a new one. But bluetooth would keep my desk clean (My desk is a mess because of Pc speakers, Mouse Keyboard wireless dongle ect.

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah that can be very annoying and it makes some games harder to play (for example you can't zoom in with weapons and aim more precisely in FarCry) and you have to maneuver with the mouse to block and attack properly in Oblivion.

If you want gaming, get a 3rd party mouse.

10. Jman888 thread starter macrumors regular

And how much is a 3rd Party mouse? I think i may get both. Does WoW need it?

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well a 3rd party mouse is just a mouse so it can vary from anything like 5 bucks for a cheap mini genius mouse to up to 100$ for a MX Revolution, a gaming mouse is worth it but not needed.

I'm don't play WoW, I don't like MMORPGs but if its anything like the few MMORPGs I have dared to try... you won't need a 3rd party mouse.

12. stagecustom macrumors regular

GO with the MX 518, best mouse i've ever had!