How do the Dell Ultra Sharps compare to Apple Displays?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by onlydroops, Sep 3, 2003.

1. onlydroops macrumors member

Anyone used these side by side or have experience with the ultra sharp dells?

The reason I ask is I saw a thread linking to a 15% discount on the Dells. A 19" ultra sharp is a little cheaper than a 17" Apple display.

2. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Dell LCDs

I have a dual Dell 1901FP setup and I can tell you that these displays blow the Apple displays away. The Dells have better response time, better contrast ratio, and are much brighter. The price to performance of the Dell display is amazing. While it is true that there are better LCDs out there, for the price you can't beat the Dell.

Hickman

Edit: By the way, I should mention that the 19" Dell LCDs are by far the best LCD display they sell. So if you are looking for another size, I would ask someone else about the trade-offs.

3. zvitali macrumors member

I have to completely disagree. I don't argue about the contrast and response time, but there is one parameter that nobody ever mentions but really visible when you use an LCD. I noticed that cheaper LCDs (like Dell) will have this matte look (can't find a better word) - basically the area of constant intensity doesn't look smooth at all. This makes the screen really sharp and great for viewing text. However, it doesn't look good when viewing pictures or a movie. On the other hand, the second type of LCDs (like Apples) are just the opposite. Not as nice for text, but great for pictures. Apparently, it's easier to achieve the higher contrast with the first type of LCDs, however all cool companies (Sharp, Sony, Samsung) typically go with the second. Actually, I once notices Sony using the first kind of LCDs on the cheaper models, but never on high-end.

4. illumin8 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but I have to call BS on this post. Dell uses the same flat-panels in their 19" displays as Samsung does in their 191T display. So to state that Samsung uses a different and superior type of LCD element is just plain false.

I have a dual-panel setup with the Dell 1900FP (pretty much the same thing, but not height adjustable and not as cool looking as the 1901FP) and they are awesome displays.

If you want an objective opinion (someone that isn't a Mac bigot and doesn't automatically hate everything that Dell makes), you might try searching google for "Samsung 191T review" and see what some of the magazines have said that reviewed this screen. The Dell is just a rebadged Samsung.

5. gopher macrumors 65816

Really? I suppose the Dell displays do Colorsync as well, and have a built-in ADC connector. Not! The digital signal is slightly different between ADC and DVI. Apple isn't using the exact same display, it has made it possible to do Colorsync calibration with those displays. So before you call it BS, there are several Samsung displays out there. Apple also uses other companies to make some of its LCDs as well.

6. illumin8 macrumors 6502

As far as I know, no other manufacturers support ADC and ColorSync. If you're looking for a display that does this, you better buy an Apple display.

Otherwise, buy an ADC to DVI adapter and use a less expensive PC display.

I'm calling BS on his post because he stated that Samsung uses a different type of LCD element than the Dell 190xFP displays. This is false, because the Dell 1900FP is simply a rebranded Samsung 191T.

7. onlydroops thread starter macrumors member

By "less expensive PC display" do you mean a Samsung 191T, for instance?

How exactly does the ADC to DVI adapter work? The Samsung has a digital connection so why would I need an adapter? Couldn't I just get my G5, get my 191T and hook them up digitally right out of their boxes?

Is ColorSync really worth it? And why wouldn't other monitors support it? Forgive me, these are serious questions, I don't know much about this stuff...

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Samsung LCDs are really beautiful, I have two 172Ts and couldn't be happier. Besides the faster response time, brighter image and much cheaper price, you can add a 3 year warranty to any Samsung or Dell monitor versus Apple's crappy 1 year. Also, its truly great have 2 video inputs into your monitor and not being strangled by the obsolete ADC standard. Enjoy your USB 1.1 built in hub on your studio display with your G5s.

One other point to mention is the footprint of Apple LCDs is very large... wasting a lot of desk space. I like Apple computers, but their LCDs are a rip off.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

adc to dvi adapter is not what you are looking for. a dvi samsun or dell will work with your g5 without any problems ebcause the g5 has a adc port and a dvi port. the adc-dvi adapter is just for plugging apples monitors to a powerbook, dvi port on the powermac, or a pc with a dvi port. also on the warranty, you can get the 3 year warranty if you buy a powermac and apple display with applecare.

iJon

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

You have to be careful in lumping them all together... Dell has a range of LCD's... the low end ones, everyone will agree with you are crap... but I've consistently heard good thing about the Dell UltraSharps - which are more expensive then the low end Dell Screens, but still cheaper than Apple's LCDs.

arn

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

You shouldn't have to pay for applecare for an already overpriced LCD... oh well.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well for one you dont, anyone who buys applecare for a display is crazy, and you cant do it anways so thats not the point. the point is you buy applecare to protect your investment of your apple computer purchase, then having your screen on the same ticket is just an added bonus by apple which is nice. apple having overpriced lcd's is just as controversial as the apple pc arguments, its an opinion.

iJon

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I know what that "matte" look is like. We have a 17" ultrasharp Dell LCD and it has that terribly annoying/weird look to it. I thought there might be something wrong with the display or the video card, but if it is common, then at least I know it isn't defective. It definitely isn't that great. It's set to its native 1600x1200 resolution and everything, so I have no clue what is causing it, but I've never seen an Apple display look like that before.

15. onlydroops thread starter macrumors member

The native res on a 17" Dell LCD is 1600x1200?? That doesn't sound right.

Anyway,

Does it really matter if I get the Dell 1901FP or the Samsung 191T? They sound like pretty much the same thing.

I just saw the 213T in CompUSA and WOW. Too bad it's about $1300.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the matte effect, unless you're talking about lower end Dells, because I was looking at the 191T (Samsung) and didn't notice anything.

16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

FYI: ADC and DVI have the same digital output quality. ADC just has power and USB connectvity shoved in there as well. Thats how ADC-->DVI connectors work. They essentially just get rid of the USB connectivity and the power supplied by the ADC port. There is no loss of quality.

It is very easy to compare digital LCDs and Apple LCDs once you know that ADC and DVI have the same quality mark.

17. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I wouldn't call the comparison of Apple's Studio Displays as controversial as the Mac vs PC argument... in both cases the Apple hardware is overpriced, but in the case of the Studio Display there isn't a counter-argument such as OS X is better than Windows.

Besides, if you buy a G5 and a 17" studio display a week later, its not covered by Applecare since its not purchased at the same time. I really wish Apple would revamp their standard warranties.

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I would never buy a 19" LCD over a 17" LCD. Most good 17" LCDs run a resolution of 1280x1024. All 19" LCDs of reasonable price run 1280x1024. So what are you paying for by getting a 19" LCD? You're paying for less DPI!!

Now if you're just blind and can't see a friggin fly if it landed on your nose then the 19" would probably be the better option as that 1280x1024 would be stretched 2" more to a larger screen size. I personally have a Apple Studio Display 17 CRT that I use at 1280x1024 all the time and find it quite easy to read at that resolution. The monitor is capable of 1920x1080 or 1600x1200 but both are at 60Hz and there's just too much flicker at those resolutions though the text gets a bit small also. I'm mentioning this because this screen is 16" viewable and I find 1280x1024 to be quite useable. Now a 17" LCD with 1" more screen area with the same resolution is going to have larger text yet and if you move to the 19" well you get the picture.

19. legion macrumors 6502a

MacBandit

I take it you don't have a 15" or 17" PB?? (Same horrible dpi issues) Or a 14" iBook? (once again a stretched out 12"iBook) :D

Apple needs to pick up the pace on putting hi-res lcds.

20. zvitali macrumors member

I am sorry, I have to correct myself. I didn't have much experience with the latest crop of Ultra Sharp displays. I was basing my opinion on 21'' and 19'' ones we have in school. They do have the matte look and I did encounter this kind of look on many cheap LCDs as well as low end laptops. And I am not a Mac bigot (only being a Mac user for about 2 weeks). I can say I am Sony bigot though...

Anyway, I never really like Dell, I always feel they need to cheap out on something. If this is their general attitude, I would rather avoid them. However, I do acknowledge that sometimes they do things right (like rebadging Samsung 19T or Orinoco Silver wireless card).

Another point I would like to make. I am trying to become a Mac user for solely one reason: to be different. I always hated and still hate to be just like everybody else. I think that every person is unique (the fact) and I also think there is nothing wrong with trying to emphasise this uniqueness by doing things differently. Can you imagine a world where everybody is wearing the same clothes, using the same computers, driving the same cars. Urghh.. I would be bored.

Anyway, this is not an attack on PC users (I am still a PC user myself), but rather an urge for people to leave the crowd and go in the opposite direction, even if it requires more effort/money.

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

true, this is same for the airport base station and airport cards. this can be a problem for some people, but majority of people i work with, if they consider a display, they buy it with the purchase.

iJon

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Nope, I would never consider the 14" iBook but I have considered the 15" Powerbook even though it runs a lower dpi.

23. illumin8 macrumors 6502

It doesn't really matter which one you get. The only real difference is the Dell logo instead of the Samsung logo, and the Dell is about $100 cheaper. The Samsung usually goes for about $650, where the Dell usually goes for about $550.

24. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

i havent noticed much of a quality difference btwn the apple LCDs and other companies high end LCDs. I have friends that work in graphics arts and use the apple screens with their powermacs because the claim the color integrity is better...i dont know, i dont need my colors to be that precise =)~

as for the PB displays...i set in a room at the law center where about 90% of the peple have various Dell laptops. Several inspirons, but mostly lattitudes. My screen on my 15" is sharper, clearer and brighter than any of the Dell laptop screens i have seen around here. Im perfectly happy with it too!

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Do you know if they use the same screen control hardware?

Just because a monitor looks the same and has the same lcd/crt doesn't make it the same as the next guy. The control hardware is really what you pay for on 99% of all displays as the crts and lcds are made by just a few manufacturers it's the actual hardware that controls those is why you buy from one company or the other. It makes all the difference in the world on the quality of the display.