Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
How does one go about manufacturing rub on tattoos, how are they made and how do they work. If someone can find a good article on this topic or can bestow some of thier knowledge to me it would be greatly appriaciated.

Thanks

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
According to Wikipedia they're vegetable dyes and a layer of glue. So I'd imagine they are just printed with special ink and a layer of glue is just sprayed on. This is just my guess of course.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
i used to make them when i was a kid. simple to do.

draw your tattoo on a piece of plain old paper with plain old ballpoint ink pens.
lick the spot real wet you want to put the tattoo on.
press the paper onto the wet spot real tight - without moving the paper around because moving it makes it blur.
peel the paper off.
voila! you have just made a tattoo -- good for a couple days unless you scrub it real vigorously with lot of soap.

same idea as when you lay a newspaper down on a damp countertop and the newsprint is legible on the formica for a long time.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada

draw your tattoo on a piece of plain old paper with plain old ballpoint ink pens.
press the paper onto the wet spot real tight - without moving the paper around because moving it makes it blur.
peel the paper off.
voila! you have just made a tattoo -- good for a couple days unless you scrub it real vigorously with lot of soap.

same idea as when you lay a newspaper down on a damp countertop and the newsprint is legible on the formica for a long time.
Why not just draw on your arm? :p

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
Why not just draw on your arm? :p

because it's DIFFICULT to draw on your arm or other parts of your body -- much easier to draw on paper at your desk.

besides, i was in the 4th grade at the time. But, the process is still the same as the skinsies you buy in the prop shops.

you can always get stock skinsies at costume shops. they look very nice.

zane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006

peel the paper off.

Well im kinda more interested in how factories make the tattoos.

L

Lau

Actually, I think you can get inkjet paper that you print on and then cut out and they work like temporary tattoos, if that's what you're after.

Edit: Ah, never mind, saw your post above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.